How do you remove this part?

Lennym1984

26 minutes ago, Eddy555 said:

It looks like you'd use them if you need to close the roof manually.

They were certainly standard on the 986 until at least 2001. I think the idea was that if the roof had been down for an extended period - say because you'd had a hardtop fitted - then when you first out it back up, the tension in the fabric could prevent it closing quite far enough to enable the latch to engage. So you used these handles to just pull it the extra cm or so that you'd need to engage the latch in the windscreen rail.

I never needed to remove them though. If they don't just pull straight out (carefully), could there perhaps be a removeable flap in the front edge of the rubber - just visible in the above pictures - that is hiding some sort of fastener? Or is that just a moulding mark in the rubber?

In resolution to this topic, it pulls off! There are a few clips which hold it in but it is easy to pull out from the front without damaging them.

The little rubber bit in the photo has three rubber bungs behind it (not sure that this is really the right description) that are supposed to hold it tight. Mine had broken and hence it was loose. I have added a few felt pads to fix the problem.

Archived