More rattle problems - 986 3.2

DeRo

The discs and pads were done by the indy in 2015.  It's done about 10k since then, virtually all in dry conditions.  They issue they were describing (prior to seeing it) is I think what you are saying I think Eddy555. 

Anyhow I'm pretty hacked off with it.  I've been changing discs and pads since 1978 and it's the first time I've had a problem like this....

For the 2nd year in a row I'll be substantially over my £1k pa maintenance budget.  Which I'll have little problem forgetting as soon as it's running fine...!

On 5/22/2018 at 4:43 PM, DeRo said:

Well, I haven't actually had time to get the rear discs off to look yet but I'd gamble that it is related to the handbrake mechanism.  With the handbrake on a couple of notches whilst driving the rattle is gone.  Wish I'd tried this before replacing the rear silencer...!   (although I had been thinking about doing this anyway and I'm pleased with how it sounds..)

The spring kit is £180...!  https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod133118/HandBrake-Shoes-Spring-Kit-Porsche-Boxster-S-1998-2005/ As I'm already well over my £1k per year notional maintennace budget I think I'll have a look first before I order anything...

I'll be really pleased if I get this sorted.  Had it for 4 years now and it's been rattling for at least the last 3.  The other half doesn't notice it when she's driving but it's really been detracting from the car for me. 

It's our first Boxster.  If I were buying again it probably would not have been this one.  It was a bit of an impulse buy, something for us to enjoy on fairweather days.  We were seduced by the colour - o/h loved it and I had a red Spitfire in my teens back in the 70s, so a bit of nostalgia for me (and a bit more bhp too...!) The 986 was low mileage and very clean, but the s/h was sketchy and it was on some cheap nasty chinese tyres.  We paid more than we should for it as well.  If the head had been in control we would have walked away I think!  We definitely bought something that was at the point of things needing replacing/refreshing.  All the brake pipes have been replaced by us as has much of the suspension.  Plus window mechanism and coil packs.  And it really didn't handle properly until the Center Gravity guys set it up a couple of months ago.

I'll update when I've had a proper look at the handbrake shoes and springs...

I’ve got what’s sounds like the same noise I too have owned my box for years but only had noise recently I’ve narrowed it down to exhaust inside i refurbed my exhaust recently and put back on so my baffled possibly could have come loose more noticeable on idle aswell and tapping with a mallet I’m on the look out for a second hand 3.2 exhaust now

• 3 weeks later...

Collected the car from indy today in exchange for £372 - 3.5 hours labour and £12 for parts... They helicolied the caliper carrier on the o/s, the n/s was ok. 

The source of the rattle was in the handbrake mechanism - the quadrants were rattling.  Removed, cleaned, regreased and refitted.  And...rattle now gone!  Thanks Mike G for the suggestion earlier in the thread, much appreciated.  I'm only slightly embarrassed to realise as I write this that I'm not sure what the "quadrants" actually are....! 

And just mildly hacked off that I've spent getting on for a grand (sports exhaust as above and £372 today) fixing something that actually would have needed no money spent at all if the caliper bolts weren't seized and I could have got to the handbrake shoes myself and figured out what was wrong...

Anyway never mind it's only money.  We've got a rattle free 986 to enjoy the current warm weather!

Archived