More rattle problems - 986 3.2

DeRo

Hi all

It's a tinny, metallic rattle experienced on a less than smooth road surface.  From rear somewhere. Sounds to me as if it's exhaust related, but see below...

It's not the cat heat shields, they are off.  Pretty sure it's not the heat shield material above the exhaust/transmission - I've been through that and fixed some loose points with oversized washers.

Don't think it's the suspension.  Track control arms/coffin arms replaced and recent full alignment by Center Gravity - who advised that noise is not suspension related.

A couple of suggestions have been loose baffles in exhaust silencer box.  I've just fitted a new Dansk box (which should also rule out any loose exhaust connection points from cats back I think) - and noise still there....

Any ideas/experience please...? 

Thanks!

Good luck, these aren't always easy to find.  Check the hangars on the back box as sometimes they break and require welding.

I've endured a year of an impossible to find rattle.  It wasn't until it got so bad that it rattled on tickover that I was able to find it, sounded just like a heatshield or exhaust rattle but was actually the alternator.  

Also check your O2 sensors are tight if rattling is more pronounced when you lift off the gas.

Thanks for quick replies.  Only the cat heat shields are removed, didn't realise there were more further up the system.  Will have a look.

The O2 sensors are both tight, don't think it's those. Alternator is an interesting one - assume it was an internal thing rather than any of the mounting points?

I'd be really pleased if it rattled on tickover, give me more chance to find it....  Be even more pleased if I wasn't afflicted with OCD when it comes to curing rattles and squeaks.  I've sold cars because of this...

Any more suggestions/ideas gratefully received!

14 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

This is what my alternator rattle sounded like, not quite this bad but you get the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdvUIt9knPQ

I spent ages bashing things, heat shields, exhaust, suspension.  Alternator was really easy to replace.

Thanks for the link; think I can rule out the alernator after hearing it.  It's a much tinnier rattle - more like an exhaust clamp noise but I don't think it's suspension related given the Center Gravity work recently completed.

I've been round with a rubber mallet without success so far although I haven't had time to check the other heat shields Boxob suggested above.  I'm wondering too if it could be one of the Cats....

I will report back if/when I manage to sort it.

59 minutes ago, DeRo said:

I haven't had time to check the other heat shields Boxob suggested above.  

If it is the tubular heat shields the fix is a jubilee clip around one end of each of them. Clamps them to the exhaust pipe.

On 5/12/2018 at 11:23 PM, Boxob said:

If it is the tubular heat shields the fix is a jubilee clip around one end of each of them. Clamps them to the exhaust pipe.

It's not these.  There's only one remaining on the offside and it's firmly fixed...

Try the little springs in the handbrake mechanism inside the drums on the rear wheels.......  took me ages to find but had just that rattle and now its sorted

On 5/16/2018 at 10:13 PM, Mike G said:

Try the little springs in the handbrake mechanism inside the drums on the rear wheels.......  took me ages to find but had just that rattle and now its sorted

Thanks, I'll check that! 

What was actualy causing the noise - broken or ill fitting spring(s)?  Or something else....?

If it's the handbrake mech the springs often snap with age and or the shoes crumble. 

23 hours ago, DeRo said:

Thanks, I'll check that! 

What was actualy causing the noise - broken or ill fitting spring(s)?  Or something else....?

They just seemed to have lost their tension.... didn't appear to affect the handbrake operation , I just pulled the whole cable up taught outside the hub and cable tied it to something (the outer part of the cable that is)  probably not the correct fix but it stopped the little springs from that metallic rattling

Well, I haven't actually had time to get the rear discs off to look yet but I'd gamble that it is related to the handbrake mechanism.  With the handbrake on a couple of notches whilst driving the rattle is gone.  Wish I'd tried this before replacing the rear silencer...!   (although I had been thinking about doing this anyway and I'm pleased with how it sounds..)

The spring kit is £180...!  https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod133118/HandBrake-Shoes-Spring-Kit-Porsche-Boxster-S-1998-2005/  As I'm already well over my £1k per year notional maintennace budget I think I'll have a look first before I order anything...

I'll be really pleased if I get this sorted.  Had it for 4 years now and it's been rattling for at least the last 3.  The other half doesn't notice it when she's driving but it's really been detracting from the car for me. 

It's our first Boxster.  If I were buying again it probably would not have been this one.  It was a bit of an impulse buy, something for us to enjoy on fairweather days.  We were seduced by the colour - o/h loved it and I had a red Spitfire in my teens back in the 70s, so a bit of nostalgia for me (and a bit more bhp too...!) The 986 was low mileage and very clean, but the s/h was sketchy and it was on some cheap nasty chinese tyres.  We paid more than we should for it as well.  If the head had been in control we would have walked away I think!  We definitely bought something that was at the point of things needing replacing/refreshing.  All the brake pipes have been replaced by us as has much of the suspension.  Plus window mechanism and coil packs.  And it really didn't handle properly until the Center Gravity guys set it up a couple of months ago.

I'll update when I've had a proper look at the handbrake shoes and springs...

I bought a handbrake shoe set off ebay a couple of years ago, think it was £13 and came with all the springs.  Not had any problem with it.  I can't imagine why anyone could get away charging £180.

Thanks RickLS7 and smit572, good advice. 

Will have a look before I buy anything and don't have time until at least next week.  The brakes can stay disassembled whilst I get any parts, we're fortunate enough to have other cars to use...(although when I add up what it costs to maintain mine. O/Hs and two daughters cars. maybe that should be, "unfortunate enough!")

• 2 weeks later...

Attempted to take a look at handbrake shoes and springs yesterday.

Undoing caliper bolts in offside rear - after a couple of turns the bottom bolt became very tight, to the point I couldn't turn it. I stopped before I broke something  It's so bloody tight now I can't get if fully torqued up...

Phoned local indy, they'd previously fitted new discs and pads.  Their take on it is that the protruding end of the caliper bolts will pick up crud which will sometimes foul the thread as the bolt is undone.   They reckon it will already be damaged now and will need to be rethreaded.  They don't have time to look at it for 3 weeks.

To be further updated....

if they had done the discs recently then the bolts should not have corroded that much? Can you see or feel the bolt protruding? I didn't think they did.  I imagine you have soaked the unloosened bolt in wd or similar overnight?  Good luck on the next try.

Archived