Tyre noise

DaveEFI

I thought it was diff bearings when I heard it the first time, bloody horrible noise. My first Boxster was terrible for it, it was on Continentals, but I tried it on Dunlops and it made no difference. The one I have now's on 19" Michelins, and it's much better, so there seems to be no logical rhyme or reason for it.

The Bridgestones on my 986 started to feather soon after they were fitted, leading to a sound very like dodgy wheel bearings. It was booked into Revolution for the new bearings but they diagnosed the tyres instead. I'll be glad to be rid of them soon.

47 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I put Goodyear eagles on my 986s after doing quite a bit of research on tyre noise and they were excellent and made a huge difference to the noise off my 18” Pilots ?

+1 For F1 Eagles being quite.

1 hour ago, SUB0 said:

+1 For F1 Eagles being quite.

I'm running the Goodyear Eagle F1's & they are marginally quieter than the Michelin PS2's they replaced.

Age of tyres may also have something to do with it as the older the tyre the harder the rubber, what date code is on them? 

• 2 weeks later...

Tyres seem to get noisier as they wear, so usually new tyres will be a bit quieter than the ones they replace. 

Best option is to always drive with the roof down, then you don’t hear the tyre noise so much. 

Archived