Cold startup compared....

temporarychicken

When testing a 718 2.0 I was aware of a discomforting loud droning noise in the cabin that only lasts for maybe 30 seconds after cold startup. After that it's totally fine.

Ironically, it turns out that this is only partially to do with the number of cylinders, and has more to do with the extra fuel being squirted in to warm the cats up.

This is all in the name of emissions. Getting the cats hot quickly means less emissions later on. I have a ten year old BMW E92 M3 which sounds rough as a butcher's dog for the first 30 seconds, but then settles down after that, and you can then hear the popularV8 noises.

This feature is hated so much by the M3 owner's community, that you can now get a remap with this cat heating deleted, to remove the cold-start cacophony.

If Porsche had dialled out the cold-start cat warm-up routine for the 718 press cars then the whole F4 noise internet panic could maybe have even been partially mitigated, given that most motoring journalists form the majority of their opinion in the first few seconds. But then we'd have had another emissions scandal, which is probably even worse.

The 981 which I still have does have this cold-start routine too but it's less obvious, and just sounds like it's revving a bit high.

I don't think I'll go for a 718 right now, but wait until the next one comes along and see where we are!

I love the cold start sound on my 987S (and the previous non-S) and am always a little disappointed when it stops!  Maybe I can get a remap to dump the extra fuel in on idle?  :) 

start up is an event - just like driving it.

Let's the neighbours know the local middle aged hooligan is about to terrorise the avenue (doing 30mph)

I doubt changing this start up sequence would have changed the press’s view on the car in relation to the sound of the engine.

It still sounds like an Impreza on the go ?

Archived