Airbag question

Billfromfife

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on my problem. (2003 986 Facelift 2.7)

While working on the rear wheel bearings, rear brakes and handbrake I stupidly left the roof open overnight and managed to drain the battery. I finished the work I was doing, then disconnected the battery for recharging. On reconnecting the battery I have an airbag warning light which I did not have before.

When I did some physical checks I discovered that the seatbelt buckle lock on the passenger seat has no electrical connection, although the drivers side has. This has caused me to suspect that sometime in the past, the passengers seatbelt buckle lock has been changed and somehow the signal from the seatbelt(s) has been electronically disabled, but when I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the ECU has reset to factory defaults and is now picking up the disconnected seatbelt buckle lock. I have read other posts on the subject and it seems that both seatbelt buckle locks have electrical connections.

OBD diagnostic says the fault is 1)"Air bag power supply" and 2) "Air bag warning light". I can't clear the codes or the light presumably because the problem is still present.

Anybody's thoughts on this issue would be appreciated. Or if anyone has a spare buckle lock that they don't need.................

hi guys,

My next question....has anyone got an OBD diagnostic tool that will reset my airbag light? I tried 3 different types but no joy. Seems I need the proper tool, if not it seems a trip to my local dealer is on the cards........ all because I left an interior lamp lit.

Bill

On 5/23/2018 at 12:43 PM, Billfromfife said:

When I did some physical checks I discovered that the seatbelt buckle lock on the passenger seat has no electrical connection, although the drivers side has. This has caused me to suspect that sometime in the past, the passengers seatbelt buckle lock has been changed and somehow the signal from the seatbelt(s) has been electronically disabled, but when I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the ECU has reset to factory defaults and is now picking up the disconnected seatbelt buckle lock. I have read other posts on the subject and it seems that both seatbelt buckle locks have electrical connections. 

A bit late to the party I'm afraid.  UK cars don't have a contact on the passenger seat belt buckle.  Also, the driver's buckle is not connected to the airbag system at all - only to the instrument cluster.  All the threads you have read about cars with both belt buckle contacts will be US cars.

I'm a bit surprised the Autel tester won't clear the fault, but perhaps it cannot read Porsche specific airbag fault codes.  A Porsche specific tool should be able to do that though.

Thanks for the responses guys. You're right it was a us post I was looking at and didn't realise.....  That's what confused me. Thanks for all the advice. I think the problem stems from the flat battery and trying to get her started afterwards.

It's just a matter of getting the right equipment to reset the srs lamp. I'm looking at options to buy one now.

Any advice on proven diagnostic tools welcome.

Cheers

Bill

The Autel unit at my work has Porsche specific section within the European models covered, not sure which model it is though as I don't have it to hand.

Did you use the generic code reading/clearing section which uses the engine icon and label OBDll Vxx.x

May not apply to the one you have but on my work one you do as follows to get the Porsche specific section

If it has the scan icon which is a car, go into that and it should offer region , go into Europe, then select Porsche, select the model and a whole menu of read and clear options come up.

HTH

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses so far. 

Shazbot, the Autel unit we used seems the same as the one you describe. We used the Porsche specific section on the tool but same result. It read the codes but would not reset the light. Description follows and thanks for your help.

Not visited this topic for a while due to enjoying the car in this superb weather we're lucky enough to have. Tried to clear the fault with my mates Autel MD808 but it's stored a code which suggests a fatal error in the control module for the SRS. This would probably explain why the light won't reset. I guess its a new control module, but not till the MoT is due...I'm not missing this weather...haha. 

Archived