Question around DRLs and Foglights?

Saxosim

Hi All

Just been reading a few posts around the net about people using LED bulbs to replace their front fog light halogen bulbs and then using them as DRL’s.

I like the idea but wondered is this allowed under the new MOT guidelines in the UK?  They mention DRLs and that inspectors will be looking to see if lights have been physically altered but it is not clear if this conversion would be okay as the headlight itself wouldn’t be altered just used for a different function?

Any insight would be useful?  I assume front fogs are not a UK legal requirement as not all cars have them fitted?

Thanks 

I have replaced my 986 foglamp bulbs (H7)  and sidelights with LED. No MOT issues with sides, not had a MOT with the fogs changed yet, that will not be untill August. Must admit not something I had considered. I have not altered the switching, so drive with sides and fogs on, which is an offence I believe. A case of the law lagging behind technology perhaps.

If you use the DRL Hack from 985Forum.com you can simply disconnect the jumper before the MOT and reconnect it when it has passed. The jumper goes from the fuse panel to the fog light relay. In a US car it in the driver's foorwell.

H7 are single filament so hi and Lo beams are separate bulbs with aim sorted by reflectors.

Fogs are H7 anyway so you can run them as fogs.

As I understand it DRL MOT  test standards are only for those cars fitted with them from the factory.

Archived