986 2.7 tyres

LordGrover

Have a slow leak nearside front.

Hopefully just valve or repair. 

Evaluating new tyre(s) if required, standard size appears to be 205/55R17, but mine has 205/50R17 fitted (Conti SC2 N2), which I can't find anywhere right now - which'll mean having to switch both fronts. 

Would switching to 55 profile make a noticeable difference, apart from the hole in my pocket?

Use a tyre calculator the overall diameter would increase by +3.4% of the original tyre/wheel combo.

Every article I have ever read on the subject suggests limiting the variation to +/-2% for gearing and speed.

To keep in line with that advice, the closest tyre choice should be 195/55 R17 which gives a +1.41% difference 

Coolio. Thanks.

Seems I may have to put either Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico 205/50 ZR17 89Y N3 or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 205/50 ZR17 (89Y) N3 on the front keeping the Contis on the rear.

If your front wheels are 7" or more (6.5" is pushing it a bit) then 225/45 is another option. This will give you a better choice as a much more common size and cheaper too. The pilot sport 4 is available in both sizes. Don't worry about the N rating thing. 

Archived