Fault code

Nellyans

Exactly what Lambda sensor did you use for the first replacement? Porsche, Bosch or ??? And since Bank 2 is passenger side on a UK car, was that the one you replaced?

When you get a “Tired Sensor” code on the OBD2 reader, it is telling you that the sensor is not reacting as fast as it should. Therefore the engine computer isn’t benefiting from the feedback from the sensor and is probably making bad decisions based on outdated information. The result is a waste of gas (poor mileage) and/or a dumping of the wrong mixture into the catalytic converters which can cause them to go bad (big $$$).

Some mechanics will try and tell you to replace the 2 matching or even all 4. You don’t need to do that. They are supposed to last 100K miles...some do, some don't. The computer will tell you via codes when they are starting to fail. But that means you have to occasionally read the codes as the "Tired Sensor" code doesn't cause a check engine light. Perhaps the thing to do is be sensitive to the way the engine runs at startup and, at any abnormality (stumbling. rough running) check the codes with a code reader. That way you can get the sensor replaced before it goes totally bad and causes $$$ damage to the cats. My pre-cat went "tired" at about 52k, I replaced the other pre-cat sensor a few thousand miles later just for the sake of balance in the signals...both newish. I'm still running on the original post-cat sensors.

Bank one UK Drivers side, Bank two UK passenger side.

I've just had P2098 come up. My CEL came on after a ride out but my exhaust has developed a joint leak so may be that.

Interestingly P2098 is shown as a generic OBD weak mixture post cat on OBD sites but it would appear that Porsche have made it a specific one about 02 sensor ageing ?

Going to clear the code after I re-check and seal the joints and go from there.

Archived