718S tyres

Happy Days

My 718S came equipped with P Zeros. I usually replace them with what came off the car from the factory, so in this case it would be P Zero 265/40 ZR 19 rear and 235/40 ZR 19 fronts. I think I'd prefer Michelin to Pirelli, but wondered if they were a standard fit? Has anyone with a 718S got original equipment Michelins? If so, could you let me know what model they are?

Thanks in advance.

Happy

The Pilot Sport 4S has been Porsche approved in the past year and you can find a number of Porsche fitments, though having a quick look I can’t find your size, but if you want to go Michelin this would be the ideal. 

i assume you are currently just needing rears? In which case ideally stick with PZERO, and remember that you should also stick with the same N number as well (probably N1 on your?).

Yes, I'm aware of a like for like N number replacement - hence the question as to who had what fitted. I had a 986 where I put on 'ordinary' tyres years ago and it handled like a lemon on a greasy track after that. I want to put on originals, but preferably Michelin if anyone can help out. All four getting low, interestingly at 15k.

My BGTS had Goodyear tyres from new, I found then very good - but my car wasn't a daily so was rarely out in bad weather.  Might be worth a look to see what Goodyear offer in your sizes.

It looks like on your sizes, if you want to stick to ‘N’ rating (to keep warranty renewal an option) you could be limited to PZERO, Bridgestone or Yokohama. Most people with 981 on Bridgestones seem to be pretty happy with them and they seem to be about the cheapest of the 3. I’ve been happy enough with PZERO on mine but there does seem to be a few that have a particular dislike for them (on Pistonheads in particular).

On 7/21/2018 at 8:42 PM, PaulQ said:

Goodyear Eagle F1 is another option, but 2 not 3's.

Doh, I think I had a brain freeze above, where I said Bridgestones  I meant Goodyear. So 19” 718 N rated seem to be P zero, Goodyear Eagle Or Yokohama Advan.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Ok, update time. I have replaced the PZeros this weekend with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S all round. My normal tyre supplier was quite expensive compared to on-line (I'm being cheap because as well as the 718 needing tyres, it needs a 20k service and the Macan needs 4 tyres too). I bought the fronts from Black Circles (next day delivery to NI, which wasn't bad) for £354 delivered (annoyingly I missed a 10% discount offer!) and two rears for £510 which included fitting my own fronts. So all round replacements for £864.

The Michelins appear to be a bit softer and quieter, but I've really only run them down the road(dual carriageway) home, so no real testing.

Interestingly, both suppliers emailed me to say that my choice was not Porsche approved - I'm on 19s, but the 20s as fitted to the GTS model are.

Time will tell. Oh, and the PZeros gave 19,500 miles or thereabouts!

Archived