icarsoft/foxwell scanners?

Simon_S

Hi, just wondering if anyone is successfully using a fox well or icarsoft scanner on their 986? If so l would like to know about capability and limitations as their websites are a bit vague.  I need to troubleshoot my alarm issue. To me the durametric seems too much of an investment for the use I would get from it.

There have been a few threads on the icarsoft and the reviews are mixed. The standard OBD2 stuff works as expected but the proprietary modules like airbag etc are more hit and miss. You could buy one take a chance but posts here show it's not 100% reliable in making the connection to interrogate. 

If you know anyone in the US that can buy a Durametric for you it's much cheaper, mine cost £173. 

This may still be too expensive for some but it can do a lot more than check for error codes plus very easy to sell on when no longer needed.

Ive got a Foxwell, its a bit of a pain to initially set up with downloads from the website needed but once thats done it works OK, seems to read the relevant modules and data and does display graphically plus you can store results. I ran mine yesterday to see if it threw up any faults relating to the fairly high Lamda reading on the MOT this week but nothing appeared. Not cheap though but at least it appears to work unlike my cheapo Amazon scanner that wont read anything on the Bosxter.

Keith

I got excited about the possibility of a durametric for £173, but with the current exchange rate they appear to be £217 - still a bit pricey with all the hassle of getting it purchased in the US. At £119 the foxwell seems more like it.

Keith, are there any limitations on the modules it can read?

Hi everyone, thought i would share this to add to the knowledge base ..................

I bought a carsoft i960....

Ive got an old 986 3.2s and looking at the spec its supposed to communicate with every module on the car.

Its great with the DME, codes, live data etc. Wont communicate with any other modules. They appear on the list but it cant communicate with them.

I have been in touch with them about this, apparently the code reader works on all other boxsters so therefore its got to be something wrong with the car :)

Its a shame, mot due and abs light on !

I bought an Autel MD808 Pro and its been brilliant, not just on my cars but others. Was even able to get to the bottom of a sunroof issue on a Mini using it!!

They sell them in the UK advertised as a UK Model at over-inflated prices but Autel confirmed that they're all the same wherever you buy them. I got my sis in the US to get me mine for under £200 and a family member brought it back after visiting her. 

46 minutes ago, grayboots said:

Hi everyone, thought i would share this to add to the knowledge base ..................

I bought a carsoft i960....

Ive got an old 986 3.2s and looking at the spec its supposed to communicate with every module on the car.

Its great with the DME, codes, live data etc. Wont communicate with any other modules. They appear on the list but it cant communicate with them.

I have been in touch with them about this, apparently the code reader works on all other boxsters so therefore its got to be something wrong with the car :)

Its a shame, mot due and abs light on !

If that's what the customer support told you it sounds like you have had the same fob off as a handful of others here who have tried it. I'm no sure what you mean exactly by DME codes but if these are the generic OBD2 engine and sensor codes then pretty much any code reader will read and reset these. Unfortunately it sounds like you paid a bunch for functions that dont work and for what functionality is left you could have spent a lot less :(

Archived