986 Windscreen seal

Rav

All. I have noticed that my 986 windscreen seal seems to be a bit loose.

On closer inspection today -

bfWiGPE.jpg

What is going on here? Should this be stuck in with glue or should it around the windscreen itself?

Is it leaking? Does it vibrate in airflow?

Personally I'd be inclined to use some black silicone windscreen sealer but I suspect the proper job is a new seal. Have you got any windscreen replacement firms near you that you can tap for information?

Thanks @Boxob I have a freind who works for Autowindscreens who i can tap up for information and will call him in the morning.

No leaking, but i am sure that it lifts at speed.

19 minutes ago, Rav said:

All. I have noticed that my 986 windscreen seal seems to be a bit loose.

On closer inspection today -

bfWiGPE.jpg

What is going on here? Should this be stuck in with glue or should it around the windscreen itself?

Is that the original screen/seal? If so probably put in originally with a retaining lip and mastic which has probably age hardened and washed out over the years. Simply lift, fill with mastic and hold in place till the mastic goes off. 

12 hours ago, Rav said:

Thanks @Boxob I have a freind who works for Autowindscreens who i can tap up for information and will call him in the morning.

No leaking, but i am sure that it lifts at speed.

If you speak to this friend, may you please update this thread? I have the same thing happening on my Boxster and was planning on just sealing it down somehow, but would like to know if there's a better thing to do first. It's also faded very badly!

@mk1max and everyone else who expressed an interest....

I visited my friend who is the manager of the Swindon office of National Windscreens this morning. 

He inspected the seal and tole me that it would have been fitted to the outside of the screen prior to being fitted to the car. The seal is cosmetic as the screen is bonded to the shell. The theory would have been that the glue used to fit the screen would have oozed into the seal and the aperture, fixing it is place. Over the years, with heat, water ingress etc this bond can break and the seal comes loose. It is not a safety problem, but is unsightly.

Ben used some windscreen sealant mastic (black) to fill the gap between the seal and screen and held the seal in place for a couple of minutes, prior to applying some masking tape to hold in place. He waved me off and asked me to drive slowly to allow the mastic to fully set.

I will remove the masking tape later this afternoon and am sure that it will look much better. If you have the same issue and the screen is not leaking, some mastic and masking tape is all you need!

Archived