Rear Lights Advice

phey708

Hi Chaps,

I have the normal rear tail lights which have orange in them and frankly I think they look ugly. Having a look around, the prices for clear rear lights seem to be a lot more than orange ones but then I looked at available LED lights.

What are peoples thoughts on LED vs clear? Im tempted to go for the LED ones as they are more modern and almost half the price of a full set of clear used lights.

I had similar thoughts to yourself and went ahead and bought LED rear lights. Do not expect too many on here to agree with them though, as the majority view is likely to be to "keep the ambers". Retain the old ones and you can always put them back on if you want, when selling.

1 hour ago, el 3.2S said:

I had similar thoughts to yourself and went ahead and bought LED rear lights. Do not expect too many on here to agree with them though, as the majority view is likely to be to "keep the ambers". Retain the old ones and you can always put them back on if you want, when selling.

Yeah I kept the originals so can always revert back if necessary!

They work well but the fit isn’t as good as oem.  On the ones that I had their was a noticeable step up from the light to the level of the rear wing.  See my photo below, you can see the step on the left hand aftermarket LED light compared to the the OEM on the right side.

6i4r9gJ.jpg

Not a fan myself. They look a bit incongruous. They disrupt the subtle look of the 986 and the modern classic look. 

I too found the fit to be not quite perfect on the LED lights.The inside top corner sits a bit low in relation to the boot lid, can just about see it in the picture. Hardly notice it most of the time, maybe I will try a small spacer.

Mine came with aftermarket rears in half clear half red, they looked ok but didn’t fit properly, slight step from the rear wing, Iv now put the standard orange and red oem on and they make a big difference to the look, and fit perfectly, I suppose it’s all down to personal preference 

On 8/31/2018 at 9:46 PM, Saxosim said:

They work well but the fit isn’t as good as oem.  On the ones that I had their was a noticeable step up from the light to the level of the rear wing.  See my photo below, you can see the step on the left hand aftermarket LED light compared to the the OEM on the right side.

6i4r9gJ.jpg

Original look so much better in my opinion 

Archived