PCM Navigation

Graham W

The new PCM systems installed in the new Boxsters is a giant step forward but I'm still struggling with a basic concept.  Let me explain.

For a number of years I've used a Garmin Sat Nav to find my way around Europe both on motorbikes and in cars.  Using the Garmin supplied PC s/w (Mapsource or BaseCamp) I can plan my routes at home before I leave, pick the precise roads and routes I'd like to drive and then download them to the Garmin Sat Nav from my PC, stick it to the windscreen and off we go.

Now is there any way I can do this with the Porsche PCM.  Not just load a destination and a couple of way points but a precise and detailed road map.  I know that the PCM uses Google Earth and I can load my routes from my PC into Google Earth using the Garmin s/w, so...….

I'm sure one of the smart minds out there must have tried and hopefully cracked this problem or am I still stuck with using the Garmin stuck to my windscreen?

short reply - NO

long reply - pick points along your desired route and roads and once you reach point A, feed in point B ....

or stick to the Garmin :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I understand exactly what you want to do - I did a trip last May and was supplied with gpx files of all the routes.  There is no way to get them into the PCM so I used a Garmin Nuvi which is a few years old now but it came with lifetime map updates and still does the job fine.  The PCM with Google Maps was still useful though to show where I was and the surrounding area as I drove around.

Archived