Lowering a 986

the baron

Ive just upgraded to some new wheels which are Cayman S allows running 987 spec tyres ie profile is slightly larger than standard 986, while I like the way the car drives and the way the tyres fill out the arches it sits slightly higher,  my car is running M030 suspension what are my options for lowering it slightly?

Not a lot really, unless you go with something adjustable. 

H&R etc will give you another 20-25mm, which looked odd on my car imo with the 987 tyre sizes. 

You would be better off just changing the tyres tbh. Maybe go with something in between the 986/7 sizes. 

Thinking about it you could drop the car on H&R or similar then use extra compensation plates (rubber pieces that sit on top of the springs) to raise it back up a tad. 

They come in 3 & 6mm thickness. 

You might find you get used to the new look over time. When I removed my H&R lowering springs, and replaced them with stock height springs, I thought it looked a bit like a 4x4.

A few weeks on and I actually quite like the look now, and the ride quality is a bit better on the crappy roads around here. 

4 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Thinking about it you could drop the car on H&R or similar then use extra compensation plates (rubber pieces that sit on top of the springs) to raise it back up a tad. 

They come in 3 & 6mm thickness. 

You might find you get used to the new look over time. When I removed my H&R lowering springs, and replaced them with stock height springs, I thought it looked a bit like a 4x4.

A few weeks on and I actually quite like the look now, and the ride quality is a bit better on the crappy roads around here. 

I tend to agree the ride is much better and the look is growing on me, just thought if I could lower it by 20-30mm it might look better but the ride might suffer and I would prefer the better ride, don’t get me wrong it still looks ace but might look even better slightly lowered.

ive just bought new shocks so that’s not an option, but swapping the springs is an option but didn’t know if there’s was an adjustment that could be made to current set up, seems not.

Archived