GT4 wheel & Short Shifter (oem) on GTS

jayk

So I fitted a GT4 short shifter and steering wheel / airbag to my 981 GTS. 

For anyone who has a manual 981 this is a must. The shifter box is the same, however the rod length has been shortend by 20mm. You can purchase this replacement part from Porsche for £180 inc VAT. I chose to buy a second hand GTS/S shifter and have my friend who own a machine shop trim it down by 20mm and extended the keyways etc. 

So I have my GTS one still with me. If anyone wants it machining and sending out let me know! 

Even for £180 from Porsche it's a fantastic change. After driving a GT4/Spyder I was left disappointed with the GTS shifter. So now the gear knob sits lower, feels more of a natural position. The throw is shorter, more direct, heavier, feels more mechanical. It's absolutley the way all 981 manuals should feel. Only downside is there is excess material as the Shifter sits lower. I'll be having a new Alcantara gaitor with Silver stitching so it will be right. 

20180929_120818.jpg

The one major issue I had apart from the steering feel itself was the 981 sport steering wheel which I found too chunky/padded and just too bulbous. So I managed to find a GT4 wheel, changed the silver trim to black to match the 991.2. You also need to change the airbag from a new model Porsche. 

It feels alot better for me, nicer to hold, you do seem to get more feel from it as it dampens less through this wheel. It is abit smaller in diameter but mainly smaller in thickness. Another great mod but not a cheap one. Worth it imo. Come winter I'll be sending it off to have Silver stitching and silver 12 o'clock mark so it all matches up. 

20180929_113337.jpg

20180929_120801.jpg

8 hours ago, daz05 said:

Great mod Jay on the box, good solution too.

I'm not sure the wheel looks right to me, different shade than your lower dash and it appears to be chunkier than the original. Easy fix come winter.

The wheel trim was silver originally but I've had it in black. May revert it to Silver at some. It's deffo not chunky, it's around 8mm thinner.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, jayk said:

So I fitted a GT4 short shifter and steering wheel / airbag to my 981 GTS. 

For anyone who has a manual 981 this is a must. The shifter box is the same, however the rod length has been shortend by 20mm. You can purchase this replacement part from Porsche for £180 inc VAT. I chose to buy a second hand GTS/S shifter and have my friend who own a machine shop trim it down by 20mm and extended the keyways etc. 

So I have my GTS one still with me. If anyone wants it machining and sending out let me know! 

Even for £180 from Porsche it's a fantastic change. After driving a GT4/Spyder I was left disappointed with the GTS shifter. So now the gear knob sits lower, feels more of a natural position. The throw is shorter, more direct, heavier, feels more mechanical. It's absolutley the way all 981 manuals should feel. Only downside is there is excess material as the Shifter sits lower. I'll be having a new Alcantara gaitor with Silver stitching so it will be right. 

20180929_120818.jpg

The one major issue I had apart from the steering feel itself was the 981 sport steering wheel which I found too chunky/padded and just too bulbous. So I managed to find a GT4 wheel, changed the silver trim to black to match the 991.2. You also need to change the airbag from a new model Porsche. 

It feels alot better for me, nicer to hold, you do seem to get more feel from it as it dampens less through this wheel. It is abit smaller in diameter but mainly smaller in thickness. Another great mod but not a cheap one. Worth it imo. Come winter I'll be sending it off to have Silver stitching and silver 12 o'clock mark so it all matches up. 

20180929_113337.jpg

20180929_120801.jpg

is this available on the 981s? :)

19 hours ago, Patt said:

How do you change the silver on the wheel, or can it only be done with that wheel ?

I'd like to keep the displays in my wheel, but dispose of the silver

On the Spyder/GT4 wheel you can buy the plastic trim in black for £350!! I had mine wrapped by a friend, looks flawless. So i can revert to sliver anytime i want and havent spent a penny :) 

Now why didn't I think of that !...think I'll see what I can blag in the office and might also try the dash strip to match (until I can afford the real carbon fibre parts).

23 hours ago, jayk said:

Yes Adam, same part for all 981 manual's. 

Thanks Jayk!

Archived