Classic Car Weekly 986 vs 944.

Dwdg

Anyone seen the comparison in Classic Car Weekly this week?

986 2.5 tiptronic vs a 944 3.0 s2. Not the comparison I would choose and I don't really get why they did it that way. 'Entry level' Boxster vs the 'best' version of the 944 to buy.

If it was me, I'd have gone for a 1989 944 2.7 manual vs a 2000 Boxster 2.7 manual for real comparisons.

I'm currently trying to get a cheap 944 (2.5 16v) to add to the Boxster so for me this was an interesting, albeit very brief and high level, comparison.

Not seen it but they likely chose these models due to similar bhp figures? The 2.7 versions from each model would generate a much larger power difference. I used to own a 1986 944 lux and bought a 986S some 16 years after selling the former. Both great cars but the 4 cylinders just did not have the engine noise for me. Would be a good stablemate for the Boxster though.

I can say having owned both the 944 is a cooler looking car but could not touch the 986 for performance or plain fun factor. My 944 is now up for auction and ends on Tuesday currently priced at £1650 all the money from this sale goes to the welsh air ambulance so hoping for a decent price.

39DDE430-0F66-456B-B349-1AEB271AC8AC.jpeg

I paid £2500 for the cookie cutters I had as they were 100% like new with kumo tyres :D 

dont get me wrong i did love the 944 especially since I’m an 80s retro kid at heart :) but it just didn’t drive anywhere near as good as it’s modern replacement;) 

id still highly recommended getting your hands on one if you can but if you want a decent one you need to expect to pay around £10k as mine was well under that price and wasn’t as good as I was told it was by the dealer I got it from :(

I bought my daughter a 924 for her 21st, great cool car but can’t compare it to the box.

ive also got a 944 on my drive at present, again doesnt compared to the box part from looking cool.

944 looks sexier for sure, but the box is a far better machine..as said before a usable daily.

the cars I would have if i had the garage space!

TVR s 2.9, porker 944, bu the fast one,an Alfa 4C, a maserati GT..Jensen interceptor, Lotus Elise, Alfa 156 and 147 GTA..and the list goes on !

15 hours ago, JoeyH said:

TVR s 2.9, porker 944, bu the fast one,an Alfa 4C, a maserati GT..Jensen interceptor, Lotus Elise, Alfa 156 and 147 GTA..and the list goes on !

Oi - you been reading my letter to Father Christmas!??? 

☺️

I too have owned both Porsche’s (currently have a 986S) and loved both of them. 

As far as comparing the 2, you may as well compare chalk and cheese. The 944 is based on the 924 which is 1970’s technology with a 4 cylinder engine and is a 2 + 2 whereas the Boxster is 90’s engineering with a flat 6 and is a 2 seater roadster (sorry, not trying to state the obvious). It would seem this article is based on them both being cheap entry level Porsche’s and not on vehicle type (I haven’t read it).

The Boxster is a great modern classic, with great handling, power and styling. 

The 944 is a great classic. It handles very well, especially for the age of the car and if driven well on twisty A roads you will certainly be able to keep up with most other vehicles, some will even struggle to keep up with you!

I loved my 944 and as mentioned above I certainly looks a lot cooler than the Boxster. The main thing to remember is that they are older and a lot more prone to rust. I had welding done on the 944 a couple of times during my owner ship - floor pan, seat bracket, exterior rear quarter sill (The main outer sills had been replaced before I bought the car), the inner sill near the suspension mounts needed doing - this was just before I sold it as it was going to run into thousands as the entire rear end needed to come out - tank, gearbox etc. and a lot of work needed to get the welding done. I replaced the fuel tank (this was a gearbox out job) as I had an ‘83 and they still had steal tanks, the later 944’s have plastic tanks so don’t rot. The list of work I did during my ownership is quite extensive, but I will say I never had any mechanical issues with the car, it drove great, just not as sharp and concise as the Boxster.

I would say go for it if you want one, you won’t be disappointed especially if you like Porsche’s and classic cars, just look into them a lot before buying or you could end up spending a lot more money on keeping your 944 on the road than your Boxster.

I would love a 944 Turbo if I had the money, they are on another level!

• 2 weeks later...

Getting one. A 1987 944 in black, with cream peforated leather and a 3.0 engine ugrade fitted with S2 PU front and Bridge (hoop) type spoiler. D90 wheels. Looks a lot like a turbo. Will be keeping the 986 but have not told the wife yet, so that will be fun..... ☠️

26 minutes ago, Dwdg said:

Getting one. A 1987 944 in black, with cream peforated leather and a 3.0 engine ugrade fitted with S2 PU front and Bridge (hoop) type spoiler. D90 wheels. Looks a lot like a turbo. Will be keeping the 986 but have not told the wife yet, so that will be fun..... ☠️

Nice.

Just don't tell her, let her work it out for herself that both cars are sitting there and feign ignorance about any previous discussions that the Boxster was going to make way for the 944 - that's my usual approach :) 

Got a tactic, by chance the Boxster needs an MOT on Wednesday, so its going in, I'm picking up the 944 as a 'loan car'. May be she'll like it a lot before I need to collect the Boxster and I can agree a discounted price of say in the region of whatever's acceptable to her for the 944...(which I'd already own...)

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, rowbos said:

Nice.

Just don't tell her, let her work it out for herself that both cars are sitting there and feign ignorance about any previous discussions that the Boxster was going to make way for the 944 - that's my usual approach :) 

??

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 10:15 AM, Dwdg said:

They look nice with the hoop spoilers on. Did you get it in the end? I’m sure it will go well with a 3.0 in it

Got it and it should be arriving either today or tomorrow - just waiting for a small few bits (alternator) to be done on it to pass the MOT.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:13 PM, JoeyH said:

944 looks sexier for sure, but the box is a far better machine..as said before a usable daily.

the cars I would have if i had the garage space!

Lancia Monte Carlo ?

Archived