Idling at aprox 1100rpm intermittently

the baron

So, the car most of the time will idle at around 800 rpm but occasionally it will idle higher, if I rev the engine to around 5000rpm while stationary it sorts  it’s self out and drops back down to 800 rpm is this a thoatle body or MAF issue will cleaning them help, or maybe an air leak?

16 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Dirty idle control valve? You could try cleaning it and do the tb at the same time

Is that an easy job? Will look at my Boxster 101 book when I get home to see if that is covered.

thanks

Yeah dead easy. If you want my advice though, search for a cable 996 throttle body on ebay and swap that in whilst you are at it. 

It is not a game changer performance wise but it does give a more powerful and free-er revving top end. 

Its also a direct fit on the 2.5 with no need for any other changes (literally unbolt the old one, bolt in the new one) 

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Yeah dead easy. If you want my advice though, search for a cable 996 throttle body on ebay and swap that in whilst you are at it. 

It is not a game changer performance wise but it does give a more powerful and free-er revving top end. 

Its also a direct fit on the 2.5 with no need for any other changes (literally unbolt the old one, bolt in the new one) 

?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to stripping down the throttle body and giving everything a really good clean, including the idle sensor, was pretty chocked up with grime, dont think it had ever been cleaned before, 197k you would have thought so.

its made a massive difference, runs much smoother and idles as it should.

was dreading this job as it looked a mare on the various YouTube vids but was actually ok in the end.

9 hours ago, the baron said:

Finally got round to stripping down the throttle body and giving everything a really good clean, including the idle sensor, was pretty chocked up with grime, dont think it had ever been cleaned before, 197k you would have thought so.

was dreading this job as it looked a mare on the various YouTube vids but was actually ok in the end.

Good job, nice when something simple and cheap like cleaning makes a difference?. Mine's on 144k, but I think I'll leave well alone until there is an issue as I'm paranoid about introducing some random vacuum leak.

10 hours ago, the baron said:

Cleaning out the intake isn't a scheduled service item. I guess it doesn't even have an upsell opportunity as it probably isn't even listed as an advisory or optional item. Much like cleaning the rads, clearing the drain holes, checking for doorcard or rear carpet dampness. 

5 hours ago, edc said:

Cleaning out the intake isn't a scheduled service item. I guess it doesn't even have an upsell opportunity as it probably isn't even listed as an advisory or optional item. Much like cleaning the rads, clearing the drain holes, checking for doorcard or rear carpet dampness. 

Yes and something I do regularly re rads and drain holes etc, although I don’t think I will be doing the TB for at least another 25k

Archived