Alarm question 987.1

AdyG

Hi

I am experiencing the alarm on my 987.1 spontaneously raining itself I.e. if I unlock the car in the garage open the door then close it again to go and get what I have forgotten, by the time I return the system has armed (car still unlocked). I pull the door handle the window drops as normal and as soon as I open the door off goes the alarm.

I tried again but this time leaving the boot open. When it armed the siren sounded one beep to alert that something was open.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct operation? If so can the function be switched off on a Porsche diagnostic tool?

Many thanks 

Ady

Mine did he same, no idea what caused it but when DW plugged his magic laptop in he found the rear control unit (controls the doors/locks) was thinking it was a tiptronic 996. Performed a system reset, been ok since. You need a man with PWIS

That sounds interesting Pesky and most appreciated.  It's going in to a Dealer next month so I will ask them to put it on the PWIS tester and see what's going on.?

Cheers 

Ady

The beep is normal if something is open. Mine did it all the time. Eventually I traced it back to the rear control module under the passenger seat which had got wet. I think quite a few have had this issue as water may end up there when the rear drainage holes get blocked. (Or it rains when you have the roof down!) However it could just as easily be one of the micro switches on the doors, boot, bonnet, glove box. Check to see if the door ones operate correctly first by pulling the handles a little inside and raise the car (roof up) to see if the windows drop. They can be intermittent when they wear, you can hear the inside ones operate from the protrusion on the end of the handle. I had to make mine bigger on the drivers side as it had worn out.

I also tried putting my phone in the boot for example and recording a video to see if the light went off when I shut and locked the car. Which would also work on the glovebox and bonnet.

Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after a few seconds does reset these things, provided it is not the switch on the bonnet. Don’t worry if you get ABS and PASM failures, this is normal and should go away when you drive it. 

Good luck and don’t forget to share what you find out...or if I missed anything.

Hi Buzzlt

Many thanks for your detailed reply. I've checked the carpets and they are all bone dry so hopefully there has not been any water ingress previously. There is no unpleasant smell to suggest there might have been.

The micro switches on the doors seem to operate ok. I have it booked into  PC Cambridge week commencing 19th November and will update with their findings.

Someone else has mentioned that the alarm can be set in the PWIS tester to different regions so will ask them to explore this.

Cheers 

Ady

On 10/6/2018 at 9:03 PM, AdyG said:

Hi

I am experiencing the alarm on my 987.1 spontaneously raining itself I.e. if I unlock the car in the garage open the door then close it again to go and get what I have forgotten, by the time I return the system has armed (car still unlocked). I pull the door handle the window drops as normal and as soon as I open the door off goes the alarm.

I tried again but this time leaving the boot open. When it armed the siren sounded one beep to alert that something was open.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct operation? If so can the function be switched off on a Porsche diagnostic tool?

Many thanks 

Ady

Should read spontaneously setting itself not raining itself!! Not sure how I managed that!

Cheers

Ady

• 2 months later...
On 10/8/2018 at 9:44 AM, Pezky said:

Mine did he same, no idea what caused it but when DW plugged his magic laptop in he found the rear control unit (controls the doors/locks) was thinking it was a tiptronic 996. Performed a system reset, been ok since. You need a man with PWIS

So I got the car back today having had a few bits and pieces sorted ahead of winter.

My alarm problem was due to a fault in the rear control unit like Pezkey mentioned but unfortunately my control unit would not retain the correct information after the reset. A new rear control unit later and we're in business 👍

Now it's time to think about getting the DA and spending some quality time detailing 😁

Archived