Rear boot strut replacement

Boxstercol

Need to change the rear boot strut / damper, after the boot lid nearly decapitated me this morning!

Got one on order from Carparts4less, apparently OEM quality for under £20 delivered.

Anyone replaced theirs?? Any tips before I make a balls up of replacing it?? ?

did this on mine - doddle to fit

the old one has a horseshoe metal clip on each end - stick a flat blade screwdriver in to the gap at the back of that (opposite side to where it pivots) and wiggle it  a bit to free the clip then slide the clip down a bit so it's nearly out of the slot (slide away from centre of strut towards outside end but not all the way out)

when loose enough the end just pops easily off the pivot point

do same with new struts (loosen end clips) and push on then press the clip back in along the slot - or you can bang those on with a good thump

might need small pliers to pinch the clip back in for the bottom pivot if I remember right

no need to change pivot points screwed to car - just the strut needed in my case. some come with pivot ball fittings and some without - porsche oem ones without and fitted as above.

On 1 November 2018 at 9:05 AM, frozen said:

did this on mine - doddle to fit

the old one has a horseshoe metal clip on each end - stick a flat blade screwdriver in to the gap at the back of that (opposite side to where it pivots) and wiggle it  a bit to free the clip then slide the clip down a bit so it's nearly out of the slot (slide away from centre of strut towards outside end but not all the way out)

when loose enough the end just pops easily off the pivot point

do same with new struts (loosen end clips) and push on then press the clip back in along the slot - or you can bang those on with a good thump

might need small pliers to pinch the clip back in for the bottom pivot if I remember right

no need to change pivot points screwed to car - just the strut needed in my case. some come with pivot ball fittings and some without - porsche oem ones without and fitted as above.

Cheers, you're right about being a doddle to fit, probably took me all of 5 minutes max.

The one I ordered from CarParts4Less got delivered today & was a 'Stabilus' one, I'm guessing the same one as Design 911.

No more boot lid dropping on my head now!!! ?

Archived