Interior trim fixing

Hughsehhh

I've come up stumped against the interior trim panel beneath the front edge of the upper windscreen area which is constantly rattling. On each side two screws pass through the sun visor mount but neither screws are currently present in the fixing. I have one screw but it just turns without biting if that makes sense, in either hole. 

Is there a nack to these fixings? The rattle is incredibly annoying. The thread doesn't seem secure in the fixing so that when you push the screw into the slot it pushes the thread. 

Hi, I had the same thing, one of the bolts wouldn't "grab" the thread. I fixed it by slowly turning the screw the wrong way until I felt it skip over the start of the thread, then slowly and steadily turned it the correct direction. it caught the thread first try.

• 1 month later...

Still stumped on this, tried the method above but to no avail. 

Anybody had this before? It almost appears as though I need a longer thread on the screw, but the thread pattern is so dense (like an electrical socket screw) that I cannot find anything comparable in say b&q to replace with.

Had this too - in the end I used a screwdriver to make sure the nut was aligned with the hole in the trim panel.  

Then I used @dpg123's approach with the bolt that wouldn't bite but applied a lot more pressure to the bolt than I would normally.  Once the troublesome bolt was on its way I then put the second fixing in until it had also got a number of threads into the captive nut.  Then I did up the troublesome bolt before finally fully tightening the second fixing.

This fixed the rattle and it hasn't come back - the overriding thing for me was the degree of force I ended up applying to get the bolt to engage using the same approach as @dpg123 - it was enough for me to be concerned about doing some damage to the fittings.

Archived