GASOLINE PARTICULATE FILTER (GPF) for 19my

Lord Johnny

It does not make any noise 😉

PSE is standard on post GPF 718 so you can assume it had a detrimental effect lol

Again its simple physics, any obstruction to the exhaust gas flow WILL lower power (like for like) and effect the engine note. 

Or you can think if it another way, manufacturers would not have been forced to fit it if it was a good thing (other than for emissions) 

I agree with Jonttt

But I wonder if Porsche have redesigned /tweaked the exhaust and or engine to compensate 

as I can’t believe that the new cars performance figures would be lower than the 18my

It’s a turbo, they can tweak performance figures as they like. However there is always a compromise with FI eg impact on turbo lag, fuel consumption, noise etc etc...... No doubt the “stats” will make it look better, sigh (is there a theme here lol)

I think if they could have “tweaked” the exhaust to make it sound better they would have done that with the GTS models........they didn’t 

My guess, call me cynical, the only compensation with be tweaked engine map to compensate for loss of power, sound worse, more turbo lag but how noticeable that will be other than a back to back test who knows, probably not noticeable in the real world, it may even sound better if its muted a bit 😉

I was hoping to place an order in the next couple of weeks for a Manual 718 Boxster S without a PSE so the engine noise is muted.  (Current 981 PDK Boxster driver with PSE......)

I've finally decided I can live with the noise, and the low down torque should remove some of the long gearing issues I had with a 981 manual test drive,  but it looks like I'll be screwed both ways with this new gasoline particulate filter stuff.  I'm not going to try and place an order for a manual car that might not turn up for 12 months (if at all), have the wrong spec and be more expensive.  I don't suppose Porsche will lose any sleep!

I need to find plan B, or the 981 looks like a keeper......

RR

Archived