Brake Bleed Nipple

Frankp2112

Hi,

Had a small issue today - bleeding the brakes 7 bleed nipples come undone the outer nipple on the passenger side just sheared off level with the caliper.

Fortunately it seems it's still sealed. 

Is this recoverable or should I start looking for a second hand caliper?

In have read mixed reports of using easy outs.

Any advice?

Thanks

Frank

There are a few options

Second hand

Caliper exchange the refurber gives you a price based on you providing a return caliper

New 😲

Try easy outs with the caliper removed. I would rename them hard to get outs 😂. I haven't had a lot of success with them tbh. If you do try this try and apply some heat to help the process 

I would go for the exchange route as you get a guaranteed item les than new and a second hand one may be in the same condition unless it has a promise in the description.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Frankp2112 said:

Hi,

Had a small issue today - bleeding the brakes 7 bleed nipples come undone the outer nipple on the passenger side just sheared off level with the caliper.

Fortunately it seems it's still sealed. 

Is this recoverable or should I start looking for a second hand caliper?

In have read mixed reports of using easy outs.

Any advice?

Thanks

Frank

This happened to me on my 986 last year. In my case it was not sealed so I had to remove the stuck part. Your caliper is very much recoverable. I tried an easy out but made things 100 times worse as this sheared off too. The third garage I took it too managed to remove it successfully and the caliper was put back into use. The extremely hard material from the easy out made removal very much more difficult. My caliper had some battle scars by the time it was sorted, so it needed a repaint. I had never used an easy put before which possibly contributed to its failure. If it happened to me again, I would take it to an expert and not attempt it myself.

I used BCS for all four calipers as at least one nipple in each snapped. I didn't try to remove them myself as it only seemed to get worse. They removed the offending nipple, rethreaded (helicoiled) and returned. Pretty seamless service, particularly if your calipers are in reasonable condition. I wouldn't personally bother with second hand as you could be buying someone else's problems. 

2 hours ago, T24RES said:

I used BCS for all four calipers as at least one nipple in each snapped. I didn't try to remove them myself as it only seemed to get worse. They removed the offending nipple, rethreaded (helicoiled) and returned. Pretty seamless service, particularly if your calipers are in reasonable condition. I wouldn't personally bother with second hand as you could be buying someone else's problems. 

Cheers Ian! Looking forward to meeting up in the new year April. 👍

Try a mobile service such as Thread Doctor. I have indirectly used these at least twice on my Boxster. Once via Eporsch on a brake bleed nipple and another time via local back street garage on my earlier Boxster on I think a stripped caliper bolt thread. 

I had the same thing happen to me, but Depending on how brave you are, I removed the brake calliper and measured the inside diameter of thread the nipple then used a drill 0.5mm smaller than the inside thread and very carefully drilled the broken nipple, this removes the meat out from the centre nipple allowing you to pick away the remaining threads using a sharp point like a scriber etc, leaving you the original thread for the new on to be fitted once cleaned up again.

I'm another one who votes for the 'don't fix it yourself' options. I've had experience of removing sheared bolts using various methods, but a sheared brake nipple was a pain and I had to get it sent off anyway. I went the exchange route (via Brakes International); but told them beforehand that the nipple had sheared off (because it's not exactly something you can hide) and so ended up not getting so much back for the exchange unit. Still worth it though, and probably the route I'd take again.

2 hours ago, Dooge said:

I had the same thing happen to me, but Depending on how brave you are, I removed the brake calliper and measured the inside diameter of thread the nipple then used a drill 0.5mm smaller than the inside thread and very carefully drilled the broken nipple, this removes the meat out from the centre nipple allowing you to pick away the remaining threads using a sharp point like a scriber etc, leaving you the original thread for the new on to be fitted once cleaned up again.

The nipples I did manage to remove destroyed the thread. The nipple had galvanised itself to the calipers and lunched itself on the way out. Given that mine are in otherwise mint condition, i went the repair route. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived