Tie Bar Taper Nut Bent

Frankp2112

Hi,

I have been changing the rear tie bars on my car - I have a bit or an issue.

Trying to break the taper I have tried a press and a pickel fork. Neither of these worked.

When I looked a bit more closely I noticed the bolt on the taper has a slight bend. I am assuming this is stopping it moving?

Anyone any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Thanks

Frank

Rear control arm ball joint outer?  The ball joint will not split.? What else have you removed? I think it will just be that the taper has a great grip. It may be the first time its ever been replaced but the suspension needs to be de-loaded so it will actually part.

Try some heat on the hub carrier and a sharp hard crack' with a decent hammer.

Alternatively if it is bent (not sure why that would happen) cut the nut and taper bolt head off with and angle grinder / dremmel and repeat. 

Provided you've managed to remove the nut successfully, you need a proper ball joint splitter which will separate it easily. Your better off try to get a slim one that will fit easily on to the joint.

I remember trying to use a pickle fork on my front ball joints several years ago and got nowhere with it. 

Good luck Jon

Whilst bent that should not stop it coming out once the taper has broken it will easily wiggle out. Get two hammers hold one against one side and on the opposing side tw*t it,should shock the taper free.

Archived