NEWBIE 986 3.2S weird interior clicking noise

A_986_2004_S

Hello, 

I’m new to the forum, I’ve read loads of great info on here but can’t seem to find anything to relate to what I’m experiencing. 

When my 986 2004 3.2S driver door is unlocked by the fob or the key a loud 10-5 sec clicking sound happens behind the vents (centre console). See video. 

https://vimeo.com/313505913

Some things to note 

• Key is not in ignition 

• No CD in head unit  (CDR23)

• All vents being open or closed makes no difference

• Noise happens when you shut the engine off after driving and park up intermittently.  

• Noise doesn’t happen when you enter via passenger door. 

• Happens daily or if car is left for a week unused 

Could it be a really simple head unit issue or a relay. 

Any help would be amazing. 

1 hour ago, A_986_2004_S said:

Hello, 

I’m new to the forum, I’ve read loads of great info on here but can’t seem to find anything to relate to what I’m experiencing. 

When my 986 2004 3.2S driver door is unlocked by the fob or the key a loud 10-5 sec clicking sound happens behind the vents (centre console). See video. 

Welcome

Haven't experienced this myself and maybe someone will be along with specific knowledge - in the meantime I'd would be inclined to try isolating it via the fuse panel in the driver's footwell.

One thing I would do is to make sure your windows are down just in case you inadvertently pull the car's locking fuse or something related that effectively keeps you out of the car.

Take the cover off the fuse panel and inside you should find a guide to fuse locations and circuits each fuse protects.

Start with the headunit circuit - remove the relevant fuse, run your process that creates the noise and see if it happens, if it does then replace that fuse and try another.  This should help you isolate the circuit that's making or triggering the noise.

Once you have a result for this test let us know and you'll get some pointers as to how to fix it.

Could it be the small mechanism that changes the airflow from outside>in to recirculating?

But the above advice should narrow it down. If it comes to it the facia panel that surrounds the stereo and includes the centre vents takes a couple of minutes to remove 

19 minutes ago, A_986_2004_S said:

Just to confirm taking fuses out won't trigger the need for the security code on the head unit.

I'm sorry, I hadn't considered that - the OEM headunit was taken out of my car more ten years ago so it completely slipped my mind - apologies.

From memory you should have the radio code in the car's document pack/manual.

I have this exact noise on rare occasions, I just assumed it was the old head unit. To me it sounds like the motor that drives the CD insertion/ejection and it can't find a CD to grab. My car has the sat nav head unit, sorry not sure what model it's called, but it's the factory fitted one in my 2003 986S.

I have this noise, it's to do with the cd charger in the headunit. Sometimes it doesn't make a noise if there's a disc in the headunit and sometimes it does. At first I thought it was to do with the cd charger in the frunk as the noise started up when I loaded discs in there but it seems it's totally random as when I remove the discs the noise still happens. Or it might not. 

I think it's called character.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this. thanks for everyone's messages and suggestions. I have extensively been through the fuses and D8 is the culprit. The noise is coming from the Becker CDR23 head unit. The fuse is the one that controls this, I tried a new fuse but the rattling still seems to come from either the cd tray (it happens when a CD is in the unit and also when it's empty) I'm in Australia and the current temps 30-40 degrees?! This seems to increase the frequency of the noise, ie cooler it happens less. Looking into opening up the unit or sourcing a replacement unit to keep the originality. Another issue has shown up with increased heat, is the solenoid rear trunk accurator that basically sometimes lets me open the trunk the hotter it gets the less it works !? Will update when I replace it.....Other than that it has been a great car over the last 4 years. 

Archived