Coolant leak

GmanB

So the other evening I got home from work and coolant was pouring out from under the car, just behind the seats, so water pump area (there was a minor clunk over pot holes right at the end of the journey). Had the car towed to a local garage and now the car is holding water, pressure and the temps are fine. Fan is also cutting in at the correct time. They took it for a 20 mile run and then left it idling for an hour. They've suggested a rad cap replacement. Is there anything else it could be?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe the thermostat stuck closed and the water jacket around the engine boiled causing the overflow through the pressure relief valve. Not sure where the dash temp display takes it's reading from, so not sure if it would show this rise.

May just be a one off

Excuse my ignorance but I'm sure I read somewhere that by replacing an 00 cap with the 04 it can cause the overflow bottle to split because its pressure release setting is higher than the original hence there is greater pressure in the system?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, charlieboy2608 said:

Excuse my ignorance but I'm sure I read somewhere that by replacing an 00 cap with the 04 it can cause the overflow bottle to split because its pressure release setting is higher than the original hence there is greater pressure in the system?

Yes, you are correct that happen to mine, although not straight away, was a gradual thing, and might not happen to everyone, depends on age of car

After replacement, the next weakest part in the system is often the old crusty coolant tank, it seems. Cap replacement cost me a fortune as also replaced thermostat, water pump, belt, coolant and tank, whilst in the zone. I kept costs to "minimum" by diy and purchase of aftermarket tank. Will see how wise that turns out to be.......:lol:.

I had the same thing last week, dumped a approx 2 litres of coolant on the car park.  Felt like fans hadnt kicked in.   Topped up but only tap water as thats all I had so I could get home, no issues, temp sat as it should and fans front and engine kicked in as they should although I did put AC on to check the front fans.  Having a coolant flush this week and check out but also scratching head. 

3 hours ago, Eddy555 said:

The earlier caps have a design fault that leads to the seal failing and causing coolant leaks. Caps with the part number that ends in 04 have this fixed.

My understanding is that the 04 cap also has a greater relief pressure hence it shows up other weaknesses in the original design........?

Archived