Ive only gone and bleedin done it

the baron

14 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Are we talking about the same guy? His car did well north of 300k without any major issue, but worn chain guides eventually caused a bearing to fail. Now been rebuilt as a 3.7 iirc.

.....the initial bearing break up you're referring to was captured via his usual oil analysis - the report from that meant the engine went to rebuild before it had actually failed.

That thread is fascinating - and the reason I'm moving to more frequent oil changes with analysis of the "old" oil each time. 

47 minutes ago, map said:

.....the initial bearing break up you're referring to was captured via his usual oil analysis - the report from that meant the engine went to rebuild before it had actually failed.

That thread is fascinating - and the reason I'm moving to more frequent oil changes with analysis of the "old" oil each time. 

No completely different thread, the one I read was a Boxster not a 996, ive just started reading it.

and further to my last post, I try to change my oil every 3000 miles, and only use Mobil 1 5-40 FS.

6 hours ago, map said:

Yes, however according to his thread, it appears the bearing damage was a result of a timing chain guide break up:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1601182&i=220

Only brought this up as it may be worth the OP's time to do some preventative maintenance in the foreseeable :)

Archived