Ive only gone and bleedin done it

the baron

11 hours ago, the baron said:

Only another 38k to go and I will rename the Boxster the “moon buggy”

238k is only the mean distance. You only need 225k to get to its closest distance.

57 minutes ago, Gutley said:

238k is only the mean distance. You only need 225k to get to its closest distance.

I know, but I knew someone would correct me and quote the mean distance so I thought I would go for it, the Jupiter fact is just showing off 😜

11 hours ago, the baron said:

I know, but I knew someone would correct me and quote the mean distance so I thought I would go for it, the Jupiter fact is just showing off 😜

This place takes OCD to another level... :laugh:

18 hours ago, the baron said:

Not really.  I doubt he's been there. ;) 

What's the delay?  It would have taken the current FIA Unlimited Land Speed record holder, Thrust SSC, just over 262 hours at record speed (763.035 mph or around Mach 1.05).  It has taken about 22 years for yours to get there.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:31 PM, Gutley said:

and in 72k miles you'll have circumnavigated Jupiter.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:28 PM, the baron said:

On 2/26/2019 at 10:43 AM, John K said:

This place takes OCD to another level... :laugh:

....another planet, surely?

On 2/27/2019 at 1:56 PM, Menoporsche said:

The Baron, how many of those miles were(n't) yours? I don't think you bought it new. Just curious.

@the baron, also interested to know the above.

What's your maintenance regime like and what major attention has the car received till date?

Please, could I suggest paying attention to the timing chain guides? They're a know failure point once you get to this sort of mileage. Have a look at poppopbangbang's thread on Pistonheads (or google knackered old Porsche) - it's a good read :)

32 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

What's your maintenance regime like and what major attention has the car received till date?

Please, could I suggest paying attention to the timing chain guides? They're a know failure point once you get to this sort of mileage. Have a look at poppopbangbang's thread on Pistonheads (or google knackered old Porsche) - it's a good read :)

I've bookmarked that for later, sounds intriguing from the little I've read so far. I think the timing chain guides are susceptible to poor oil quality and infrequent changes as the oil is all there is to prevent wear. I suspect a car that's run lots of short trip early in life might be susceptible, but at the age we're buying them it's pretty much pot luck, but we can at least stop them deteriorating with some TLC.

53 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

I’ve read that a while back, the guy was bragging about his high miler and then did a couple of track days and blew his engine.

Ive done over 100k of those miles, I do change the oil every 3000 miles of so and only use mobil 1 5-40 fully synthetic, and I use Cotsworld Porsche for anything major that’s beyond my monkey grasp.

3 minutes ago, the baron said:

I’ve read that a while back, the guy was bragging about his high miler and then did a couple of track days and blew his engine.

Are we talking about the same guy? His car did well north of 300k without any major issue, but worn chain guides eventually caused a bearing to fail. Now been rebuilt as a 3.7 iirc.

He previously had a dark red 996 that he sold to Jethro from Evo - not sure of the history with that one.

1 minute ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Are we talking about the same guy? His car did well north of 300k without any major issue, but worn chain guides eventually caused a bearing to fail. Now been rebuilt as a 3.7 iirc.

He previously had a dark red 996 that he sold to Jethro from Evo - not sure of the history with that one.

Sorry i was being lazy i didnt check the article out, but remembered some guy over on piston heads doing that to his car and presumed wrongly, i will give it a read over the weekend. 

Archived