Clever boxster

Muddy

Didn’t realise my boxster had a clever brain being 14 years old. Warning came up check front right hand side light. Sure enough little tiny bulb blown. How does it know such a small failure. Wish he told me my water pump was about to fail. How much else does he  know when it fails.

Electrics are fairly easy. Car measures expected currant draw.  If it stops drawing current then it’s “broke”. Causes trouble when you put in led bulbs. They draw less. Car thinks tbey are blown.  

Annoyingly they also know a ton of stuff that they don’t display. It probably had the data to say “engine temp higher than I expect” when the water link was suffering but it doesn’t translate that since it need interpretation. 

A bulb out is less about predict and more about fail. But I have leaned to depend on it.  

My 'other' car - 35 years old - has a bulb failure warning. It sends a tiny current through each bulb on the circuit so will warn if one fails even before it is switched on. But that method is very expensive as regards extra wiring.

Archived