Oil level indicator

Roger C

How accurate is the oil level indicator on the 987 and is there another way of checking the level?

I seem to get different results during the day, now I realise when the car has been used some of the oil remains in the engine but sometimes I can return to my car after say an hour and the level has actually risen above where it was in the morning (cold and un run) and other times its half full. Just wondering if its normal to get 'random' readings or do I have a problem.

I assume the best and most accurate reading is the first one in the morning before the car has been run.

Rog.

Frequently discussed here. I think the handbook says to check when cold, ie all has drained down, that's why you get a timer. IIRC this is totally changed in the 987.2 where it is checked when running or similar - but of course that's a totally different engine.

Those used to a 986 lament the loss of a dipstick, but I read once the dipstick takes a circuitous route through the flat 6 engine that it is actually misleading.

20 hours ago, Roger C said:

How accurate is the oil level indicator on the 987 and is there another way of checking the level?

I seem to get different results during the day, now I realise when the car has been used some of the oil remains in the engine but sometimes I can return to my car after say an hour and the level has actually risen above where it was in the morning (cold and un run) and other times its half full. Just wondering if its normal to get 'random' readings or do I have a problem.

I assume the best and most accurate reading is the first one in the morning before the car has been run.

This also happens to my 987.1. By all accounts it's quite common. Initially I thought the sensor was playing up, but it's just very fussy. Car needs to be cold and on a snooker table flat to get an accurate reading, I am currently road parking and have found that even a slight lean in any direction causes an incorrect reading. 

Yeah - just don't fill it up based on a reading that's not on an exact level flat. Overfilled mine because it was reading below minimum and was properly told off by my indy garage. I now know its full even when it reads 1/3 on what feels to be a flat and level car park at work.

Archived