rear body control unit wet!!

Nickhep

So my 2007 987 s has suffered the wet carpet treatment and the rear body control unit has got wet and turned the car into a demon! 15 minutes after washing I was alerted by the alarm going off , windows down and rear spoiler up! on turning the ignition display shows rear spoiler fault and  psm failure .had to go out so on returning 3 hours later tried again to find psm was ok ,ignition fault which cleared quickly< reversed the car and heard a sloshing of water in the drain well under the hood , opened the roof which was very jerky cleared the drain hole and tried closing roof again which I had to keep turning ignition off and back on again to close it 6 inches at,a time, finally came to a close and I closed the latch turned everything off , removed the battery, passenger seat and the rear body control unit off the sodden floor!! on opening the box the water damage was very apparent witn a blue/green residue on the underside of 1/4 of the board , I dabbed the moisture off and left to dry then removed the dry residue gently  with a tooth brush, on putting it back in the car and seat temporarly back in , it was time to try and start her. no warning signs on display starts and runs fine but when opening the roof latch nothing at all happens . so question is do I just replace the control unit at £300 and if so does it need to go in and be coded to the car or could it be a microswitch in the roof latch that is at fault ( the roof fuse is intact). any help would be much appreciated 

nick

Sounds like the symptoms of a drowned rear control unit.  I know someone who had very similar problems but he ended up with snapped roof rods because the roof tried to open while it was latched.  Spoiler is controlled  by that unit as well as rear lights and brake lights. Might also be worth getting the drain filters for a 987.2   They are about £6 each and fit the .1 cars   Keeps leaves and cr*p out of the drains. 

There is also another unit next to it for the parking sensors which can also get drowned  

Rear control unit needs to be coded to the car (the same module is for cayman and 911 as well as boxster ) i have seen a replacement unit work for brake lights and rear lights but not for spoiler or roof because it defaulted to fixed spoiler and a tin top at least you don’t have to mess around with keys and immobiliser. OPC new seem to be cheaper than eBay and hand as Porsche club or tipec get 10% off  doesn’t hurt to ask for “club discount” and see what happens   

Durametric may be able to do it but otherwise it’s a job for a PIWIS. Would offer to help out with that but I am wrong end of the country to you   Good news is that there are a lot of good independents up that way who will have the right kit and probably only charge a nominal fee to hook it up. They could tell if the switch is working and also might be able to reprogram existing unit if it’s lost it’s mind but as meno says  you at elikely to be chasing issues at some point  

If the roof was fine before the drowning then it’s unlikey to be the switch in my opinion and personally I would check the rear lights and maybe pull the roof fuse until it’s resolved just incase it loses it’s mind.   

Archived