Unable to use car for 2 months 😪

smartin

Hi all,

Due to a skiing injury (broken upper arm) I am not able to drive my car for the next 8 weeks or so. It is in the garage at home. Anything I need to do to make sure it is not dead when I get to use it again. I used to have a 986 and whenever I couldn't use that for a while I kept it plugged in to a ctek battery charger to make sure the battery survived.

Do I need to do the same with the 981S? It is just over 6 years old but not sure how old the battery is as I bought it 2nd hand at the end of last year. I think my old ctek unit might not be up to the job for this battery.

cheers

Martin

Sorry to hear about your arm, but definitely put the car onto the CTEK charger, also  pump up the tyres by another 6psi to limit flat spotting.

The best thing would be someone drive it after a month for 10 miles to get everything hot and moving, but appreciate its not always possible.

I think there is a mode on newer chargers for the AGM batteries in the 981, but an old charger would be better than nothing and I'd assume the battery is original, so coming towards the end of life anyway. There may be a date code on it. Release the handbrake so it doesn't bind on and throw some disposable gel dehumidifiers in there or if your garage is dry and secure, just crack a window open to avoid any problems with mould. I would just leave it, rather than get someone to drive it occasionally. I left my 986 untouched on a charger for 6 months over winter on the drive and it fired up straight away and ran without issue. Hope you have a speedy recovery, rubbish time to be unable to drive the Boxster.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I didn't reply earlier - the positioning of the bones in my arm meant that I had to have an operation to have them pinned together!

The charger in question is a CTek Multi Xs 3600 model and is probably around 10 years old. Instructions mention 3 modes - one for motorcycle batteries, a normal mode for wet batteries, MF and most GEL batteries and a third mode for colder temperatures and this is recommended for many AGM batteries. However, this third mode says it is not recommended for maintenance charging at temperatures above 5 deg C and to use normal mode instead.

Therefore, it sounds like I need to put it into normal mode and let it keep the battery topped up.

Anyone else use this charger on their 981?

Thanks again for any help.

Ended up buying a newer CTEk charger - MXS 5 which had a special mode for AGM batteries. Plugged it in yesterday and now showing as fully charged 😀

So annoying seeing this lovely weather and not being able to drive the car, though😭

Archived