Cruise control retro fit costs

BoxsterSPete

4 hours ago, Flyferrari said:

I really wanted adaptive cruise but they wouldn’t fit it to a car with a manual gearbox, even from the factory. Given the massive flexibility of the engine (if I’m feeling lazy I can row along at 60, drop to 30 to go through a town, and then pick back up to 60 without swapping cogs!) I have no idea why they wouldn’t take my money! As Richard says, it’s the only really useful way of doing cruise on today’s roads.

The system takes you all the way from speed right to zero so at some point it needs to change gear,  it's using the rear pads to brake too so it needs the gearbox to help slow down sometimes.  It will even go when the car in front moves off from standstill so you need auto / double clutch systems for that.

I have it in my Golf R, of course it's standard fit by VW, grrr.   Great bit of kit and I miss it when i drive the other cars, only downside is that on busy motorways when the speed is changing all the time it can react a bit more slowly than the driver would and you get people cutting in into your lane.  You can adjust the sensitivity and also gap to the car in front but fine if you just want to relax and let it do its thing.

5 hours ago, Flyferrari said:

I really wanted adaptive cruise but they wouldn’t fit it to a car with a manual gearbox, even from the factory. Given the massive flexibility of the engine (if I’m feeling lazy I can row along at 60, drop to 30 to go through a town, and then pick back up to 60 without swapping cogs!) I have no idea why they wouldn’t take my money! As Richard says, it’s the only really useful way of doing cruise on today’s roads.

Fascinating. How cool would that be as a retrofit.  Sounds like it just needs some sort of rev limit sensor to stop it operating outside parameters, and it's for the driver to react to that when necessary (like, once a year or less if in third or fourth gears!). I barely drive my Boxster but I'd be happy to pay a third party to fit that on my family car, can't be too difficult to develop.

10 hours ago, daz05 said:

The system takes you all the way from speed right to zero so at some point it needs to change gear,  it's using the rear pads to brake too so it needs the gearbox to help slow down sometimes.  It will even go when the car in front moves off from standstill so you need auto / double clutch systems for that.

I have it in my Golf R, of course it's standard fit by VW, grrr.   Great bit of kit and I miss it when i drive the other cars, only downside is that on busy motorways when the speed is changing all the time it can react a bit more slowly than the driver would and you get people cutting in into your lane.  You can adjust the sensitivity and also gap to the car in front but fine if you just want to relax and let it do its thing.

I confess, I knew the system could bring you to a complete halt. I didn’t however know it would pull away again. That’s not really the functionality I was after (I’m not even sure I’d be totally comfortable with it pulling away for me!). I was really after a refinement of what I’ve got now so that if someone fails to account for a change of incline whilst in a 50mph zone, I don’t either have to kick the system out all together or prod on the stalk like some kind of demented woodpecker! If it was limited to minimum 30 MPH the gearbox wouldn’t pose a problem and engine braking in a manual Cayster is really quite substantial. Anyway, it wasn’t to be so bog basic cruise is what I got.

14 hours ago, Flyferrari said:

I confess, I knew the system could bring you to a complete halt. I didn’t however know it would pull away again. That’s not really the functionality I was after (I’m not even sure I’d be totally comfortable with it pulling away for me!). I was really after a refinement of what I’ve got now so that if someone fails to account for a change of incline whilst in a 50mph zone, I don’t either have to kick the system out all together or prod on the stalk like some kind of demented woodpecker! If it was limited to minimum 30 MPH the gearbox wouldn’t pose a problem and engine braking in a manual Cayster is really quite substantial. Anyway, it wasn’t to be so bog basic cruise is what I got.

Yes understand. It has settings and dealer can code in or out the setting off. If you are at the lights it won't but just stop for a few seconds and it does.

Maybe concerned about getting sued when the automated cruise keeps you going at 30 into the back of someone. Imagine in the US.

Archived