There's a hole in my engine

Brewsta

Hi all, wondering if anyone has experienced a hole in their engine?! 2007 987 Boxster S 3.4

There is a bolt that holds the Timing Chain Guide in place that has vanished. Trouble is it's left a hole in the engine! Oil tends to come out at an alarming rate.

I'd never notices any minor oil leaks before I had it out for a good run at the weekend. Something must have happened en route as there was a bit of a burning smell when i got home, but I had been giving it some so didn't think too much of it. Next day I noticed my Boxster had a wee on my driveway.

Got it in with an Indy now and they said they could dig out the old and replace the bolt, but as it's happened before it might just happen again (going on the paperwork, only bought this in October and it looks like the same has happened just before I bought it) Grrr. Right hand side behind the clutch.

So, rather than sticking a new bolt in that might fail again in a short while, we are trying to find root cause... anyone seen anything like this before?

Engine Hole.jpg

Yeah, possibly. Just going off what I've been told plus taking to pic while it was up on the lift. Why would it come out/break off once, never mind twice!

My first thought was a stripped thread.  Have the hole enlarged and helicoiled, just to be on the safe side. :) 

Normally the softer material is the bolt for obvious reasons.  You don’t know whether some tw*t fitted an undersize bolt by simply eyeballing it rather getting the exact part number.  I’d be inclined to fit exactly the right bolt/washer combo plus torque it right and monitor it. You’ll see the exposed thread if it winds out, but I bet it doesn’t....

35 minutes ago, Araf said:

Have the hole enlarged and helicoiled, just to be on the safe side. :) 

Or if it looks fine, a couple of dabs of threadlock and keep an eye on it?

Go to OPC and buy two bolts in case you lose the first in a few weeks :) They're probably a fiver each.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Or if it looks fine, a couple of dabs of threadlock and keep an eye on it?

Go to OPC and buy two bolts in case you lose the first in a few weeks :) They're probably a fiver each.

Good point about the threadlock, not always documented in the maintenance instructions so could easily be overlooked....

• 4 weeks later...

So it turns out it's not the same bolt that's went, but it is the timing chain guide that's had it and is being replaced. Having a fight with Warranty now as they are trying to say it's wear and tear 😡. Chain is fine so can't see how!

Archived