Factors to consider when buying new pork

Grumpyoldman

So having just bought a 987 -I would be interested to know about views wrt what makes folk seal the deal

So aside from obvious things like overall condition ,history and price .....

For me I like to know what the person is like who owned the car

Colour doesn't really bother me as long as its not hideous -ie i would rather buy a Box in my 2nd or 3rd choice  colour which was mechanically A1

I also like an owner who has loads of receipts who bores me to death about the mechanicals

I also have a daft theory that people who really look after their cars tend to put premium matching tyres on -after all along with brakes its the most important safety aspect on the car -ie  if they skimp on rubber then perhaps they skimp on other important stuff

Also i'm not bothered that much whether  its been polished to within an inch of its life as long as its scruffy

4 minutes ago, Grumpyoldman said:

premium matching tyres

A big point of contention - N approved or not, expensive or not, high quality or not.  These are different things but some people interpret them as synonyms. Tyres to be torn apart in 3 track days don't always have to cost 800 quid a set, there are mid-priced brands which work well enough (good reports about some Falken and Nexen for instance).

Otherwise - yep.

Fair point re N rated tyres -and agree Nexen and Falken and Yokies are actually very good

But by the same token would you buy a Box that had been tracked -I think that would put me off ?

I recall when I tracked my Caterhams round the track -it was very hard on the vehicle -and that only weighed 460Kg

What about a Box that has been properly serviced with OEM parts by its owner rather than a proper garage -i'm quite happy with that -TBH because in many OPC's you are likely to have some numpty supervised kid working on your Pork -and then expect to pay 120 quid plus vat an hour for the privelage

1 hour ago, Grumpyoldman said:

Fair point re N rated tyres -and agree Nexen and Falken and Yokies are actually very good

But by the same token would you buy a Box that had been tracked -I think that would put me off ?

I recall when I tracked my Caterhams round the track -it was very hard on the vehicle -and that only weighed 460Kg

What about a Box that has been properly serviced with OEM parts by its owner rather than a proper garage -i'm quite happy with that -TBH because in many OPC's you are likely to have some numpty supervised kid working on your Pork -and then expect to pay 120 quid plus vat an hour for the privelage

Agree totally with your final paragraph. 

Archived