Issue with Window Wipers

R888 BWN

Can anyone help me please? 

I have had my 987S about 2 months and all of a sudden the wipers have gained a mind of their own. Normally one touch down should do a full window wipe but now they stop as soon as you let go of the wiper stalk?

Also, i have lost the intermittent setting on 1 click up on the wiper stalk. It just stopped working and occasionally the wipers just go off themselves without any input from me.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to fix this - if i take it to a mechanic it will cost a fortune in fault finding labour. 

Thanks in advance. 

Look under you passenger seat
Is it wet.
The main Control Unit is here MAYBE the problem
If its wet Get it completely dry
And check under the palce where the roof drops into to make sure the Drain holes are not blocked
Hope its not this as it can cost a fortune

Do check for water but I very much doubt it's that. IIRC the electrics under the passenger seat is a rear control unit dealing with electrics at the rear of the car. 

My guesses are:

1. Wiper relay fail (try removal, cleaning contacts and refitting); or

2 wiper switch fail.

Yep, always a good idea to keep an eye out for water under seats, but the box under the pass. seats controls locking, alarm, windows I believe. As @Boxob suggest most likely the switch if everything else is fine. If you have rain sensing wipers that may complicate the issue a little. I would hope a decent indy could give you a ball park figure for diagnostic and repairs. A second hand unit from a breakers might be a way forward if its is the switch unit. An unusual fault I would say, so perhaps a worthwhile punt getting a used unit, having said that I have no idea what such an item would cost used. New,  your friendly OPC can tell you, with no obligation, and they are often very competitive on just parts.

4 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Yep, always a good idea to keep an eye out for water under seats, but the box under the pass. seats controls locking, alarm, windows I believe. As @Boxob

On a 986 it is the Alarm Control Unit which controls the alarm etc but on a 987 it's a different unit, I think, the Rear Control Unit.

Archived