8 pin Door mech

the baron

Anyone had any experience of this type of VW mech, it looks the same as the one ive removed, mines even got the VW stamp on it, but the concern is will it drop the window as it should, its a Mark 4 golf part 8 pin

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Front-Left-Passenger-Mechanism-1997-2005/dp/B06XD59PWB/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=VW+Golf+Mk4+Front+Left+Door+Lock+Mechanism&qid=1561445748&quartzVehicle=121-1628&replacementKeywords=mk4+front+left+door+lock+mechanism&s=automotive&sr=1-1

I’m guessing a mk4 golf may not have the window drop requirements as it’s a framed door?

I may be wrong though. Not 100% on Golfs. 

Jon

3 minutes ago, Blues N Twos said:

I’m guessing a mk4 golf may not have the window drop requirements as it’s a framed door?

I may be wrong though. Not 100% on Golfs. 

Jon

That's a good point, but I went with the recommendation on here about getting a golf lock on a 9 pin and it worked fine. Maybe it's just easier to pump out all the locks with this included on one production line or maybe there's another function for the microswitch it other cars?

OPC Swindon can get one for £120

as opposed to the Chinese copy golf m ch copy for £20 option what do you reckon?

i hate to pay over the odds but I don’t want to buy something that will have to binned

53 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

120 is not too bad. Go for that. They probably get them off ebay though 😂

Yes agree, bit sickening spending £100 more than I have too, but really don’t want to have this issue again or it not working in the first place

7 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Any MK4 golf lock should be fine. 

Why wouldn't it drop the window? 

This.

Evidenced by this:

5 hours ago, mike597 said:

Mine is the eight pin.  Have swapped it twice for golf 4 part and works fine and no fettling required. 

The comment about Mk4 Golf doors being framed is irrelevant, as Mk5 Golfs are also framed.

I am not sure the presence / absence of window drop has any bearing. The switches still work in a similar way, ie in VAG cars, pulling the handle from the inside triggers the door to unlock (electronically) if it is in the locked state. The same output would be used to drop the window.

Worth checking the price of the OE VW part from your local dealership or TPS. If it is reasonable, I would order from there. Or try and find an OE part from another supplier using the part numbers on the amazon listing. 

Archived