DRL's

MAC99V

HI all, quick question if I may, I like the updated look of DRL's in the front bumper to replace the bog standard lights I have, 2009 S, I've seen on a few threads the after market ones (that protrude slightly),  did Porsche actually make an LED DRL set as when I've googled it, nothing comes up...apart from said after market versions. I'd prefer to keep standard as I'm considering putting a warranty on the car when its in for its next service.

Any comments appreciated. Many thanks, M

try this

works perfectly on my gen 2 so you shouldn't have any trouble. Really cheap mod, no need for aftermarket units especially if you change the halogen fog bulb for LED units. I used the twenty20 units.

btw, the oem DRLs are the main dipped lights; you can choose this option in the OBC menu.

Kevin

Cheers guys, found the option within the OBC, so done that, the improvement must be with the change of bulb, that'll be next then. Many thanks.

There are some options in the PIWIS menus for variations on the DRL's - no 1st hand experience of the effect (I am seeing them in simulation mode - and haven't tried them on my car) - but it looks like you maybe can use the fog lights as DRL (possibly the LEDs on the Gen2), it also has the option of dimming the DRL's when flashing the headlights (assume thats when they are using dipped beam) and also have side "markers" on with DRL - assume that means indicators on in some way.

Not something I have experimented with but if you were interested - I am in Strood, I have access to a PIWIS2 system - and I am happy to plug it in and we can experiment.

Let me know if you want to play.

Many thanks Paul P, seems the options through the obc to have them switched on as DRL's works fine, I wanted something oem so not opting for aftermarket.

Was considering putting a warranty on the car, so everything has to be Porsche, but then realised the chap i brought the car from stuck a chunkier battery in, so unless i cough up £440 from porsche to supply and fit a new Bosch.....no warranty....and they don’t even cover the battery, times have changed since i had my 911 pre kids !!

Thanks for the offer anyway, kindest regards, M

36 minutes ago, MAC99V said:

Many thanks Paul P, seems the options through the obc to have them switched on as DRL's works fine, I wanted something oem so not opting for aftermarket.

Was considering putting a warranty on the car, so everything has to be Porsche, but then realised the chap i brought the car from stuck a chunkier battery in, so unless i cough up £440 from porsche to supply and fit a new Bosch.....no warranty....and they don’t even cover the battery, times have changed since i had my 911 pre kids !!

Thanks for the offer anyway, kindest regards, M

DRL's on mine through the OBC has the dipped headlights running - does yours run the fog lights instead? I also thought about porsche warranty and I have a non porsche battery as well - I figured I would befriend someone at a club meet and borrow their battery for a day for suitable beer tokens - I bet they only look on the pre warranty check.

I'll check on the lights Paul as I'd thought they only worked when 'Home' was selected, but could have sworn they were on even when the lights were switched off, I'll confirm.

I thought the same re battery, not sure off there's some tamper sticker or brace though that confirms it was supplied and fitted by Porsche. I'd read yesterday that they only provide a years warranty on the battery even though it falls as a part fitted,  should be covered by two years. That said, the battery on my car is covered by 5 years, but doesn't say Porsche, bit of a con if you ask me.

My cars due it next service, 56k 10 year, been quoted £650 and when i questioned about warranty, the repsonse came back, 'n rated approved tyres'...no idea how tyres could make part of a car fail, battery and over revs (which I'd totally understand), 111 check would be done at 50% reduction if done with the service....and i've had hope many cars with them, most certainly been a change since my last purchase some time back.

Project Nine who a very good friend uses (and done same work on mine recently) quoted around £280 all in, big difference.

As much as i'd like the warranty, I'm seriously hesitant on spending £680 for a minor service, £140 to look over the car, if ok another £450 for a battery, then a two year warranty at £1600 all in, not far off £3k, ouch.

If it hadn't been for my upkeep bill when i purchased the car, not far off £4k, I'd consider it. My wife had a minor shunt in her mini some time back, car developed an issue with the roof closing, we spent around £1500 to get it rectified, which didn't work, to be told, complete new roof required on top of what was spent, was more then what the car was worth, but told....if it was under warranty, would have been done gratis.....Hence my initial with to go warranty.....I may go service route for the stamp, but knowing i'm keeping the car for a good couple of years, is spending the additional £400 for a stamp in a book worth it to the next purchaser?.....the stamps mine has swung me toward the initial purchase, but almost 10 years old, 56k on clock, in ace condition ( i think), is it worth it, or is now the time to start going indie and saving unnecessary outlay?

Cheers, M

5 hours ago, MAC99V said:

I'll check on the lights Paul as I'd thought they only worked when 'Home' was selected, but could have sworn they were on even when the lights were switched off, I'll confirm.

I thought the same re battery, not sure off there's some tamper sticker or brace though that confirms it was supplied and fitted by Porsche. I'd read yesterday that they only provide a years warranty on the battery even though it falls as a part fitted,  should be covered by two years. That said, the battery on my car is covered by 5 years, but doesn't say Porsche, bit of a con if you ask me.

My cars due it next service, 56k 10 year, been quoted £650 and when i questioned about warranty, the repsonse came back, 'n rated approved tyres'...no idea how tyres could make part of a car fail, battery and over revs (which I'd totally understand), 111 check would be done at 50% reduction if done with the service....and i've had hope many cars with them, most certainly been a change since my last purchase some time back.

Project Nine who a very good friend uses (and done same work on mine recently) quoted around £280 all in, big difference.

As much as i'd like the warranty, I'm seriously hesitant on spending £680 for a minor service, £140 to look over the car, if ok another £450 for a battery, then a two year warranty at £1600 all in, not far off £3k, ouch.

If it hadn't been for my upkeep bill when i purchased the car, not far off £4k, I'd consider it. My wife had a minor shunt in her mini some time back, car developed an issue with the roof closing, we spent around £1500 to get it rectified, which didn't work, to be told, complete new roof required on top of what was spent, was more then what the car was worth, but told....if it was under warranty, would have been done gratis.....Hence my initial with to go warranty.....I may go service route for the stamp, but knowing i'm keeping the car for a good couple of years, is spending the additional £400 for a stamp in a book worth it to the next purchaser?.....the stamps mine has swung me toward the initial purchase, but almost 10 years old, 56k on clock, in ace condition ( i think), is it worth it, or is now the time to start going indie and saving unnecessary outlay?

Cheers, M

on mine on the daytine running lights front dipped headlight and rear lights are on when the car i running (DRL)  home makes the LEDS come on when you turn of - I was wondering if your DRL was dipped beam or LED's

The check list of things seems weird I agree - but the warranty is pretty good from what I hear. Nothing on the check has to be fitted by porsche though - the battery just has to be porsche branded and I think thats more like 250 to buy it and walk away with it - same with tyres - n rated tyres from costco are just fine. There are folks on here who have a porsche warranty and use an indy for servicing just specifying that porsche sourced parts are used.

That service cost seems high - up until recently SIdcup and Tonbridge were doing fixed price around 350 minor 420 major ( actually sidcup were offering a reduction for porche club memebership) didn't include brake fluid or any of the other "extras". I think now it's included in the quote (belt, plugs, pdk clutch fluid, engine air filter etc,) I see now the price for 10 yr service is 550 fixed - that includes brake fluid - so maybe 420 without  (guessing) https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/serviceandorgininalparts/servicepricing/boxster/ still ££ but not 680.

I would check what project 9 will do for the quoted amount because I personally think it will be oil/filter/pollen filter and that's probably it 

- and personally wouldn't use project 9  based on a some bad personal experience, and also there's a bit of a war story out there in the national press......... happy to elaborate via PM - but to be fair and balanced - I have heard a number of people recommend them and be happy with their experience. I have also had quotes for some standard work items (pdk fluid change etc.) that were more from indys than from Porsche......

You could always get the bare minimum done for a stamp at OPC and any extras done anywhere else. My personal feeling is stamp from well respected indy is as good as main dealer - but...... the key there is "respected" - there are a number of not so special indys out there......... for me evidence of careful spending is good in history - extra things being done etc. that can rack up but I figure even if its 500 quid. thats it for 2 more years - 250 a year servicing doesn't sound bad - but its a personal call - and not an easy one to make

Cheers Paul, please do drop me a mail re P9, I've only used them once, first visit upon recommendation from a close friend, ended up costing me a fortune, but the work i had done was required, they did show me during my visit, but that said, all the Porsches I've owned have been purchased from dealers, kept under warranty and maintained by them too, mainly Porcshe East London and Tonbridge. Sidcup's pretty new, would be using them, but after asking for a service, not one person has come back, not impressed.

I suppose, my biggest stumbling block for 111 check would be previous owners, did any abuse the over revving, if so, a given they wouldn't warrant the car, which i understand and appreciate. I called Sidcup to begin with prior to purchasing the car, they quoted late £700's for next service, but that was with the check, they didn't break down cost, but said all airbags would be checked as it was necessary for being 10 years old, i didn't baulk at that as the 911 turbo i had a good may year back, service cost late £500's so i thought, time, increases etc, its a given. As Sidcup never came back re my booking, called Tonbridge as they'd looked after a couple of my cars, it was the lady there that quoted £650 plus the £144 for the 111 check, suppose i could check again with east london as they supplied nearly all my cars so a good relationship with them...if anyones still there i know. As for the battery, couldn't find any costs re supply and fit of an approved battery, its was through a thread here on BoXa or PCGB that i saw the cost and comments re batteries not covered, which they used to be, but that said, through the forums opinions differ, many quoted refusals on RS4 forums re certain works, again at Tonbridge, all the issues that were quoted as no, I had them all done with no issues at all, maybe just tonbridge audi at the time.

Still wanting to go the porcshe route for service, the brand is there to be screamed at if there's any comeback issues, where if its and indie, its you against them. Maybe i'll bit the bullet for that check and see what's required for warrant, If i'm lucky, and what's gotta be spent in doing so. Thanks for the comments Paul, please do pm the comments on P9, have a good weekend, Cheers, Mark.

Will PM you.

over revs - I have a piwis system. I can do the same scan as the dealer does. “Vehicle analysis log”. Lists the Rev ranges.  10 mins  

Porsche battery. I can probably get a part number and price on that if you want. 

Worth figuring out the difference between the quoted amount and the web prices  

my experience with tonbridge is it takes a couple of calls to narrow down the actual cost. I recently did a catch up of extra service items I couldn’t prove had been done. Took a few calls to get to 

Belt, plugs, engine air filter, pdk fluid change, airbag check quoted 645. When they got to do it they found the tensioner was seized, over the phone they said 250 to replace, when I picked the car up they had charged me £150. Didn’t argue it of course but it does seem to be “theres what’s written and there’s what charged” 

will ping you the pm when I am back on a computer not the phone. 

Hi folks, 

Back to the DRLs. I carried out the UKTINPOL 2 hack on my 987.1 3.4 yesterday. Probably 15 mins from start to finish. I was a bit nervous the whole way through but the only tough bit was getting the wires block out of it's sleeve. All good and really pleased with the result.

Cheers,

Kevin

Archived