6 yr old981S .What are the most likely "unforeseens" next service?

J & F Hux

We've had 4 boxsters now over about ten years and have never held on to a car as long as this one, which we intend to keep for ever! (don't like the 4 -pot we've had a demo).

All previous cars as well as current, low mileage with love and care, with no surprise costs along the way. 

So next year, our Jan 2014 Reg, only 2 services to date, is a six year old will have about 30,000 miles by then. Its been out of warranty since year 3 (expenditure to date - nil, btw).

Would like to know from others' experience - what's the most likely expense around the corner over and above routine service cost (tyres and brakes excluded). ? 

My 2012 981s had a bush go in one coffin arm early this year, had both sides done@ 47K miles. 

Fantastic car, and like yourself have never renewed the warranty. Saved a fortune 😂.

I bought mine in 2017, had the following under OPC warranty, heater blowing cold air only, PSE valve seized on one side, and AC condensor leaking.  All of these were within the first 25k mls. 

Incidentally my friends car has had the latter two issues also, so seem to be common.

Other potentials to consider would be the transmission mounts if you have sports chrono, coil packs above 30k, the brake pedal sticking and some of the changeover valves in the vacuum lines.

I've seen 1 or 2 cars with PDK problems but it seems very unlikely and most have received goodwill if the cars have good history.

I have not renewed warranty, may decide to do so in the future but car is well cared for with limited mileage so i've put the money in the bank instead.

5 hours ago, mneil said:

My 2012 981s had a bush go in one coffin arm early this year, had both sides done@ 47K miles. 

Fantastic car, and like yourself have never renewed the warranty. Saved a fortune 😂.

Hi, which bush, which coffin arm please?  Mine just had the 6-year service yesterday (at the menu price less reduction for no extra oil). I have an occasional clank from the front suspension but the OPC couldn't tell which of the many joints it was likely to be, and suggested replacing them one by one until it stopped (!). If anyone has any guidance on which joints are the most likely culprits, that would be handy. Thanks! 

Keep an eye on the high pressure fuel pump and VVT solenoids - both common failures at higher miles. The HPFP leaks oil before it fails and there is an acrid burning smell from the side pods after a run when the VVT solenoids are on their way out.

13 hours ago, spook said:

Keep an eye on the high pressure fuel pump and VVT solenoids - both common failures at higher miles. The HPFP leaks oil before it fails and there is an acrid burning smell from the side pods after a run when the VVT solenoids are on their way out.

I had a VVT fail under 30k, no smells just miss firing like a bag o shyatee 

Archived