Honest Advise needed about 987

Karl32

Thanks Nobbie, I have been in contact with Darkstar a fellow member on the forum selling a 1999 2.5L Silver one. He is been very helpful with providing me with all the info needed. I am currently in contact with my insurance awaiting feedback in the morning. Apparently the passenger side door won't lock something I need to look at, and other issue is a couple of rear tyres need changing. will keep you guys posted on the outcome.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all, with regret I was unable to meet Darkstar's requirement for his beautiful 986 purely due to timing conflict, I will still be looking for a 987 after summer holidays. It is worth mentioning that Darkstar is a great gentleman explaining everything about the car, and I appreciate that very much. His car is a bargain and will make a great car for other potential owner. The search goes on!

Just catching up on this.  I had a long time thinking/perusing/viewing a lot of cars before getting into my first Boxster, and as chance would have it timings worked out and I got a fairly local 987.1S very early (Jan) 2006.  It had been very well looked after but I was as nervous as the next person about IMS and all of that.  I saw it, then just had to have it and kept it for 2 years.  It was an absolute joy, and in some respects was a real sweet spot - 2006 MY cars less prone to IMS, 3.2 not prone to bore scoring, pre April 2006 so lower tax, and the one I had was pretty high spec with sport chrono, bose and some other cools stuff, with a Milltek exhaust and some suspension mods. It didn't cost me much over my time with it - just a service, 2 tyres and the odd thing here and there - got to be expected for a 12 year old car (at the time).  I moved on from it to a 981 and I know my 987 ended up getting sold for about £9500 a year ago.  If I was to do over again, I think I'd absolutely do the same.  Whilst a 986 is a very cool car, I think a 987 just moves things on a bit (although tech wise pretty dated, but you can do good stuff with infotainment etc)

for ref - it looked like this

20170827_111329915_iOS

On 7/24/2019 at 7:54 PM, Nobbie said:

Just seen this one come up on here

At a first look, that seems like a very nice car and similar spec to the sought after Anniversary. Plenty of work done for reassurance as well. Certainly worth a look👍

I know this car well. Friend of mine is the seller. Excellent condition but perhaps more importantly he is a true Porsche (and car) enthusiast. Which means no skimping and saving when it comes to preventative maintenance and upkeep.

i bought my 987 off a forum member here last year and he was also an enthusiast. And it showed in the car he was selling. 

So my 2p would be to buy from someone who really cares about their cars, cares about the marque and treats their cars like extended family. I saw a few and it was obvious within a few minutes if you were speaking to someone who had only bought a Boxster as a cheap route into Porsche and just wanted to scratch a “fancy car” itch. 

Archived