Honest Advise needed about 987

Karl32

Hi

I too came to Porsche after classic car ownership (3 Triumph Stags a TR7 with dolly sprint conversion and  Frog Eye Sprite ) - Porsche being a totally different beast  - drive and handle completely differently to any car I have previously had - and yes they do feel and drive "heavier" and after sitting in another members 986  can confirm that there was more room in my TR7 inside than there is in a  986 ! - but Porsche are also a lot more thrilling and engaging than any car I have driven previously.

It took me a long time to find the right car a Gen 1 2007 987 Sport Edition that I  eventually bought from a member on here  (after fighting with myself over the colour ) - so if you can buy from an enthusiast who should have all the documentation to back it up then I would do so -  check the MOT history as you want an owner who has looked after it and not just left the advisories to roll over successive years (brake discs usually as these are expensive items to replace ) has it been someones "pampered baby "  but who uses it regularly  .

I tried buying in the winter when prices are lower but there really are very very few about then,as people know they will command a higher price in the spring / summer months .

Yes, there is the worry of IMS failure, but that is still in a very very small percentage of  pre 2009 cars and safer after 2005 - bore score failure again very low but tended to be in  engines larger than the 2.7 - but any car has a chance of something going majorly wrong with the engine / gear box and trust me, I am already saving for next Porsche / replacement engine / gearbox, as I'm not a pessimist but a worrier. 

Test drive as many as you can and enjoy her when you get her 🙂 and choose a good Indi to look after her for you. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Karl32 said:

unusual yet beautiful grey colour, unless I am mistaken?

It’s a great colour but not especially rare for early 987, Seal grey. It really suits the shape of the car and polishes up beautifully 👍

2 hours ago, Karl32 said:

Hi red rocket, I am near Twickenham in southwest London.

Regards

Ps. thanks for the input,

Look out for a Blackbushe meet as well - just off the M3 near camberley - usually a good turn out and a chance to have a poke around and chat with some fellow owners

Good luck with the hunt,  load of good advice here, feel sure you will soon find a good car and be enjoying the rest of the summer roof down Boxster style!

certainly a lot to think about, and equally great advice from every one in the forum. The search goes on. I still have a lot to learn though.......

I would like to thank every one of you for replying its very much appreciated!

£5950 seems expensive for a 986 S with 92k on it.

If you want to check prices, pop the reg number into We Buy any car to get a trade price. Private sale or dealer will be more, Dealer the most as you should get some warranty and a new MoT.

1 hour ago, Karl32 said:

Now I don’t think it sounds too bad and if it’s local worth a look. Yes I would like some details on the recent work but overly all I would have a nose if it’s local 👍

Hi Mattman42, great looking car, but after checking the MOT history (As advised by the forum 😜 I am learning quick) there seems to be alot of advisories over the years which not been correctly addressed. How much would you think its worth it please?

Glosrich, we buy any car website is showing 4.5 for the car, which I think is a little unfair to be honest the car surely worth more, but I agree with the dealer option of MOT and warranty. if people are mechanically minded then doing some minor repairs should be fine and expected with any second hand cars. Thanks for the input

3 hours ago, Karl32 said:

I will wait and see if any one on the forum is selling one and see what happens.

Just seen this one come up on here

At a first look, that seems like a very nice car and similar spec to the sought after Anniversary. Plenty of work done for reassurance as well. Certainly worth a look👍

Archived