Handbrake Adjustment - Boxster 987.1

Mowerman

Might sound like a daft question but can this be done by raising and adjusting one wheel at a time, or do both rear wheels have to be off the ground in order to adjust the handbrake ? Had my brakes replaced recently and I need to tighten up the handbrake a little.

Thanks

Andrew

One at a time is fine though TBH after adjusting mine I still have more play than I want and the grip is not great unless the car rolls back a bit as you pull on the handbrake. Then it is fine.

The handbrakes on both my last 987 and this 987.2 are very good. If new shoes have been fitted, they may need bedding in. If you stop the car on a steep hill using the footbrake, then apply the handbrake, both seem to lurch back slightly when you release the footbrake. I'd guess the suspension settling, or compliance in the suspension bushes. My last car, a BMW, with the same handbrake did the same. But the actual movement of the car is tiny.

Adjusting isn't the easiest job in the world. Just finding the adjuster though the small wheel bolt hole needs a torch and getting your eye level with it. And finding the ideal screwdriver for the job may take some experimenting.

Make sure the wheel turns freely before adjusting - that the disc pads aren't grabbing.

Lever the adjuster round until you can't turn the disc by hand. Then back off the adjuster 4 clicks. On 2005 onwards, cars have self adjusting cables. Earlier ones may also need the cable adjusted - this must be done after setting the shoe adjustment. If it has been messed up, you may need to slacken it off, adjust the shoes correctly, then the cable.

Archived