Coolant question

stupidget

I've got a 2004 Boxster S and noticed something odd about the coolant.

My car had been sat for about 3 days on drive and when I came to move it I noticed that there was a coolant leak underneath, roughly in the middle of the car.  I looked in the coolant tank in the boot and noticed it was quite low, so I topped it up.  I took it out for a drive today, about 15 miles and the temp stayed at just over 80, and just before I got back home the Temp light started flashing, but, the temp was still just over the 80oC mark.  I looked in the coolant tank and it had dropped slightly but was by no means empty.  I looked underneath the car and there were no drips or leaks, but, I could see on the drive that there was a slight line of coolant.

Anybody any ideas as to what's happening?

Update - I've just opened the boot and could hear a very slight hiss coming from the (blue) expansion tank cap and the water level had dropped a lot.  Is the centre of the blue cap supposed to push in as mine doesn't?

Update on the issue.

I got the updated expansion cap from a local Porsche dealership (£18) and I thought it had fixed the issue.  However I got in the car today and I'd not even started the engine and the temp gauge light was flashing.  Looked in the expansion tank and the coolant was really low.  I looked under the car and could see a drip under the car, about a foot away from the door seal just in front of the rear wheel.  I noticed that there is a plastic tray so I pulled an edge down and quite a bit of coolant flowed out, not all of it probably about 100ml, maybe 200 at the most.

Anybody any ideas what it could be?

IMG-4263.jpg

Is the leak just in front of the rear wheel. If yes sounds like the o rings in the bleeder valve are shot (there is a vent pipe that runs from the expansion tank area)

If more central then possibly water pump. 

As above check under carpet in boot.

I've lifted the carpet and polystyrene in the boot and it's bone dry, but, it is pretty damp under the carpet behind the drivers seat.

Another update.

Topped the coolant up again this morning.  Drove it to get it up to temp and then drove it hard for a few miles.  This was about 3 hours ago and there have been no drips and the coolant hasn't budged.  Like I said previously, boot is bone dry and think the damp behind the drivers side is a red herring as it was p*ssing down hard here for 2 days and I've just noticed a tiny rip right at the bottom of the roof canvas on the drivers side.

Archived