Water leak

alank

Hi I have had an annoying water leak for a year now, I can manage it by putting a microfiber towel where the water appears to come in , but cant prevent it coming in.

The area concerned is passenger footwell , where the carpet meets the underside of the dash. I thought it was coming in through/ or around  the cabin filter, but I put a rubber sheet over it last night before an horrendous downpour, and my towel still was still  wet this morning .  I'm wondering if their is a point on the Bulkhead below the Filter where it could be getting in.  The rest of the car is fine, especially around the ECU, which I am well aware of.

Anyone had a similar leak, or knows that area of the car to point me in the right direction.  many thanks  alan

Hi there 

Yes I had a very similar leak on my 986 and I can’t remember what I did to stop it. I know it was worse when the car was parked  on a slope.

I remember thinking it maybe the cabin filter housing but it wasn’t, I also cleaned all the front drain holes and that didn’t cure it.

Ive got a feeling mine was actually a issue at the rear but it was running under the carpet and collecting in the front footwell. I think it was something to do with the foam clam shell lining.

• 1 month later...

AlanK

Did you ever resolve the issue ?

The same thing has happened to mine, sometime during the last 2 weeks. Took it out for a run yesterday and noticed the wet passenger footwell. The door cards are dry ,as is the carpet from the front of the seat area to the rear . I use a half cover so its not coming in from the roof or window seals. I've checked the drains and all seem clear. Is it possible that the front drains can be overloaded in very heavy rain , filling the area around the battery and finding its way through the bulkhead ?   

Hi jcs

I still have the leak, I am managing it untill I can fix it.

My leak is, if you look up to where the carpet ends, under the dash , ( may be a cover to remove) their is something through the bulkhead, may be to do with pollen filter, my leak seams to be here. I manage it by rolling up a micro fibre cloth and lying it along the top of the carpet, against the bulkhead. It's near a small pipe to do with air conn. I did notice my filter wet once when I was looking. It's not a very bad leak, cloth only damp after a couple of rainy days

I need to find a schematic DRG of what bits come through the bulkhead. (Can anyone help in that area please). Sorry I can't be more helpful. Alan

Heater matrix leaking, is the coolant level OK?

1 hour ago, alank said:

Hi jcs

I still have the leak, I am managing it untill I can fix it.

My leak is, if you look up to where the carpet ends, under the dash , ( may be a cover to remove) their is something through the bulkhead, may be to do with pollen filter, my leak seams to be here. I manage it by rolling up a micro fibre cloth and lying it along the top of the carpet, against the bulkhead. It's near a small pipe to do with air conn. I did notice my filter wet once when I was looking. It's not a very bad leak, cloth only damp after a couple of rainy days

I need to find a schematic DRG of what bits come through the bulkhead. (Can anyone help in that area please). Sorry I can't be more helpful. Alan

Archived