IMS Bearing in my 2005

Rooose

Wanted to provide a bit of info on some work I had done on my 2005 Boxster in the last couple of days.

Mine is a June registered, May built 2.7, which going by some internet information regarding engine numbers, had the larger IMS bearing. The fact I was not sure and on finding some tiny amounts of debris when I did a recent filter/oil change, I had to find out once and for all - otherwise it was spoiling the enjoyment of my car.

Eporsch carried out the work (very satisfactorily) and I can report that I do have the larger bearing, so they could not replace it in situ. My car has 48k miles and the flywheel was toast, so I had a new flywheel, clutch and having carried out a lot of research, went with the Hartech recommendation of removing the rear seal on the IMS bearing to allow splash lubrication of the bearing (as the grease will eventually get washed out and smelly old oil will get stuck in there)

FYI - my bearing had no wear at all - it was in perfect condition.

When I purchased the car, I knew, given my nature, it would be inevitable I would have to go in there and find out at some point, and I am so glad I did - I haven't ever enjoyed the car so much as I do now.

So, to all that have a 2005 - I would tend to agree that in most cases, the published info about engine numbers is about spot on (certainly for the 2.7) and in my case, a 48k mile larger bearing showed no signs of wear. 

Hope this helps someone -  I know it would have helped me with my now cured IMS anxiety!!

Yes, just that. I am told it could be chain guides but it is impossible to tell. I was also told that it was just the oil filter doing its job and a little debris is not out of the ordinary. When i say a little debris, I mean about 5 minute shiny specks.

Obviously, it could be something far more serious, but if it is, its engine teardown time anyway, so may as well drive it until it grenades!!

Apart from the first oil change, which was 12k miles, it has been changed at max 6k intervals all its life and been well cared for, so the hope is this will stand it in good stead!

5 minutes ago, kevin450 said:

How do you do this engine number check would like to check mine

Not sure I can post links to other forums here, so if not allowed, admins, please delete the link:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjWp_Dx8rLlAhVJXRoKHQx-BaIQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pistonheads.com%2Fgassing%2Ftopic.asp%3Fh%3D0%26f%3D12%26t%3D1793146&psig=AOvVaw03mqUmW9FoDXUPf-xtIuI3&ust=1571937829086995

It's the 3rd post down, and while it is using some assumptions, I follow the logic and the poster is very clued up on all things Porsche.

I will not testify to it being 100% accurate, but it certainly follows in respect to my engine number and the bearing installed.

Hope this helps....

25 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Flattery will get you anywhere.  

😁

I hope I am right in my assessment! 

On a serious note, thanks for the post i linked to and subsequent comments, its been really helpful for me

Archived