Billowing 💨 from the fan side

Liberty

Hi all, has anyone had this issue?Just arrived home And lots of what I think is steam from the fan vent.Any advice please before I take a look at the weekend.Only had the car back on the road for a couple of weeks 😞.she was making a slight odd sound only for a few seconds yesterday then as I was approaching home today the sound was more prolonged like whatever it is has given up.Im guessing water pump at the moment but any advice please ?

4 hours ago, Liberty said:

The coolant tank is empty and it’s leaking underneath. I hope it’s the pump and not the tank..

That does sound like the pump, the squealing noise could have been the bearing failing and once this happens the coolant can escape through the gap as the heat soak from the engine pressurises the coolant once the engine is stopped.

11 hours ago, Nobbie said:

That does sound like the pump, the squealing noise could have been the bearing failing and once this happens the coolant can escape through the gap as the heat soak from the engine pressurises the coolant once the engine is stopped.

Thanks,I’ve ordered a new pump etc.Even if it’s not the problem.Sorry folks,now know this has been discussed many times before.

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

Thanks,I’ve ordered a new pump etc.Even if it’s not the problem.Sorry folks,now know this has been discussed many times before.

No problem, the forum would die if people could only ask new questions. I covered the pump change in my thread Nobbies bargain Boxster in the Running Reports section if you want a few tips. I think a 1/4" socket set with a universal joint would come in useful as some of the 10mm? bolts are a bit awkward to get too. I think I improvised at the time with what I had. Good opportunity to give the coolant a flush and and change the thermostat while you are in there.

Have taken the covers out and got it on the ramps.The under tray has coolant and lots of shiny metal fragments?gave the hose a squeeze which I think is the water pump hose and coolant gushed out.Im confused by the metal though..

Metal can come from at least two sources, first if the pump on there was replaced by a cheap one in the past then they have a metal impeller which grinds away at the block once the bearing fails. OE pumps have a composite impeller. The other source of metal could be if the bearing has allowed the pulley to contact the block somewhere.

Neither should be a big problem, but if the metal impeller has ground on the block then I would spend a bit of time flushing the system to get as much of the metal swarf out as possible as that will do no good floating around the cooling system.

Have you taken off the inspection cover behind the seats yet? 

21 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Have you taken off the inspection cover behind the seats yet? 

Yeah got all the covers off including the top one because I thought the bleed valve was under there but it’s where it is on the 986.Still have the belt on until I know for sure where the leak is..Thanks Nobbie for the help.Ill post some more pics tomorrow.Think the pump is original so should be the composite impeller 🤞no jubilee clips and I’m waiting delivery of a tool for the hose clamps.

34 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Can anyone give me a tip on how to remove the original hose clamp without the proper tool?

If your not going to reuse the clamp you can sometimes just unclip it with a thin flat blade screwdriver-I believe some peeps might use an appropriate sized jubilee clip on reassembly?

1 hour ago, sa utah said:

What’s the cause of all the oil build up there I wonder ?

I really don’t know,apart from the water pump failure she runs great.Its probably just never been cleaned 🧼 you should see the cobwebs...

Hope you’re all good.Quick question, is it worth spending the extra on a low temperature thermostat for my base 987.I really need to get it ordered today.

Dave

37 minutes ago, sa utah said:

I personally can’t see any benefits from a low temp thermostat

Thanks, it’s something to do with heat spots on a cylinder but maybe   Not a problem on a 2.7.

When I was first researching  before buying “my first Porsche“ the 2.7 seemed the safest bet with what seems to be very few foibles compared to the other engines.   
that’s never stopped me normally mind and I’m quite sure I’ll get bored with this one when I’ve brought it back up to standard and buy something else with more power etc.  

The 2.7 lower temp stat isn’t needed from what I read.  And I read and read and read !

As it goes I’m enjoying my lowly 2.7 immensely  considering what I paid for it it’s one heck of a lot of car with a decent turn of speed when needed   

Archived