Rattle on switchable exhaust.

phazed

New owner here. In at the deep end no doubt!

I recently purchased a 2008 car with a switchable exhaust.

At idle there is a pronounced rattle at the rear that disappears when you switch on the sports exhaust.

That disappears when you switch on the sports exhaust.

I assume there is a problem with the valve/mechanism.  Is this fixable? Can anyone give me some pointers on this? 

I had similar problem on my last Boxster- butterfly flap had broken on mine. I was told the actual flap couldn’t be replaced - couldn’t afford new exhaust at the time so my indie welded them open and disconnected actuators!!

Hmm.  Sounds like a fix but I'd rather go for a full-time fix.

Are you saying you need a whole exhaust system? 

Surprised that you guys haven't more info on this.........

Yet.... there are 19 responses about a gear knob on another thread.

Certainly not what I'm used to as on the TVR forum you would get loads of answers talking about forged pistons and fitting superchargers......

Just saying. :)

The Sports exhausts are normally reliable unlike TVRs 😂

They don’t tend play up but when they do it is normally the actuators seizing up and not opening and closing the valves. It maybe worth checking they are operating correctly but I doubt that will be the rattle.

It is possible to replace valves if they are worn , they are listed as a 997 part. I think this is more lightly the cause of the rattling, when the flap pivot points wear the whole flap rattles👍

13 minutes ago, phazed said:

Surprised that you guys haven't more info on this.........

Yet.... there are 19 responses about a gear knob on another thread.

Certainly not what I'm used to as on the TVR forum you would get loads of answers talking about forged pistons and fitting superchargers......

Just saying. :)

To be fair, you've been told that they're not replaceable but can be welded shut and that the other option is to replace the exhaust. Not quite sure what else you expect. We can't magic up cheap replacement valve.

You could always try fitting a high lift cam😀

7 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

The Sports exhausts aren’t normally reliable unlike TVRs 😂

They don’t tend play up but when they do it is normally the actuators seizing up and not opening and closing the valves. It maybe worth checking they are operating correctly but I doubt that will be the rattle.

It is possible to replace valves if they are worn , they are listed as a 997 part. I think this is more lightly the cause of the rattling, when the flap pivot points wear the whole flap rattles👍

Ha, thought that might raise some response.

i should get it on the ramp tomorrow so will have a look and see what I can see.

i have absolutely no experience of Porsche's but hope that the fact that I am half German will help in diagnosis ;) !

i am hoping that the problem will be evident and repairable.

Cheers guys....

Graham, yes I need something to fiddle with in the garage!

I have been delayed by loads of non-car related things, probably called life!

Had it on the ramp last night and it is just as was thought, the butterflys are rattling in their pivot bushes.

You can see them from underneath with the car running, if I just touch them with my forefinger, the noise stops instantly.

As previously said, they look integral with the exhaust boxes and therefore it is highly likely that i will have to renew the exhaust system to deal with the problem.

No wonder the previous owner switched it on sport mode, (The noise goes away) immediately the car was fired up on its test drive! 

3 hours ago, phazed said:

I have been delayed by loads of non-car related things, probably called life!

Had it on the ramp last night and it is just as was thought, the butterflys are rattling in their pivot bushes.

You can see them from underneath with the car running, if I just touch them with my forefinger, the noise stops instantly.

As previously said, they look integral with the exhaust boxes and therefore it is highly likely that i will have to renew the exhaust system to deal with the problem.

No wonder the previous owner switched it on sport mode, (The noise goes away) immediately the car was fired up on its test drive! 

I was thinking about this today while I was driving about. I wonder if you could drill and tap the pivot post.

Then use a bolt and a over size washer and tighten it up a bit.

This would help with lateral movement and potentially a bit of sidewards movement. It would take a bit of adjusting but it maybe enough to stop the flap from rattling?

Coincidentally I'm thinking of something similar.

To test out my theory I have put a large jubilee clip around the exhaust pipe at the point where the pivot is, (slightly off centre).

Clip around the exhaust pipe at the point where the pivot is, (slightly off centre).

I shaped the band of the  jubilee clip, slightly concave to retain a large ball bearing so that when the clip is tightened it pushes onto the underside of the pivot. 

If this works then I will do something less Heath Robinson to take out the rattle.

Just trying to test this but left the key in the ignition overnight in the garage and the battery has flattened! Charged it up to a point that the engine would start and guess what, the PASM is disabled including sport mode so I can't switch over the exhaust!

Car is still on the ramp and it is raining. I have read that you need to drive over 35 miles an hour for the PASM to reset, I may be wrong and look forward to being corrected or given any other hints .

As an aside, if one lets the battery go completely flat or disconnect it, is there anything else that I need to do, reset anything at this point? 

That will wait till tomorrow then. Raining outside but a log fire going inside and a gin and tonic in hand. There has to be some positives! 

Thanks again. 

Had a good look this afternoon after my previous bodge with a circlip failed!

it succeeded in stopping the rattle but when you press the sport button, the movable flaps were restricted and couldn't move smoothly..

I then looked at the problem from a TVR point of view! Alternative thinking needed.

I looked in my spring box, (no, not the rugby team) selected two weak small springs and made up a couple of ties with some binding wire.

i attached one end on the exhaust join and the other hooked over the actuating pushrod on each side.

The result, smooth operation from standard to sport mode and a complete lack of rattling on Idle and very low revs where it was making a racket before!

Spring just removes a bit of play in the actuating rod and stops the flap and spindle chattering away.

Result.

Archived