Oil Consumption

flyingdoc93

Hi guys,

scary story. Halloween 🎃 yesterday and the engine management light came on on the mrs mini. Long story short - it’s bore scored and going to mini heaven. It did go through 6L of oil this year so I should have guessed! 

Made me think about my 987S. I’ve topped it up with around 750ml In 12 months and I’ve done 10k miles. It’s 12 years old and has 70k on the clock. 

Is this normal? 

4 minutes ago, flyingdoc93 said:

Hi guys,

scary story. Halloween 🎃 yesterday and the engine management light came on on the mrs mini. Long story short - it’s bore scored and going to mini heaven. It did go through 6L of oil this year so I should have guessed! 

Made me think about my 987S. I’ve topped it up with around 750ml In 12 months and I’ve done 10k miles. It’s 12 years old and has 70k on the clock. 

Is this normal? 

IIRC  UP TO 1L/1000miles is deemed acceptable so your sounds positively frugal. 

58 minutes ago, EXY said:

IIRC  UP TO 1L/1000miles is deemed acceptable so your sounds positively frugal. 

I think they say 1l/1000kms, believe it or not. :o 

Engines should use a little or it can't lubricate all moving parts fully.  750ml in 10k miles is perfectly acceptable.

You don't say how many miles the Mini has done in the year.  If it's over 6k miles then it's certainly getting bad but could still run for years as long as you continue to top up.

Wow that seems loads. Thanks! 

oh the mini has 50k on her. Apparently the timing chains have snapped and it’s all buggered. The irony of it all when I’ve been loosing sleep over IMS and bore score and it was the other car on the drive slowly dying! 

13 hours ago, Araf said:

I think they say 1l/1000kms, believe it or not. :o 

Engines should use a little or it can't lubricate all moving parts fully.  750ml in 10k miles is perfectly acceptable.

You don't say how many miles the Mini has done in the year.  If it's over 6k miles then it's certainly getting bad but could still run for years as long as you continue to top up.

I wasn't quoting Porsche more the general rule of thumb to encompass both cars. Mind you most manufacturers aren't shy regarding quoting whatever suits their particular needs at the time. 

Either way one car sounds fine and the other, well I suspect it sounds like a cement mixer 🤣

Maybe I shouldn't laugh, sounds expensive 😳

Haha. Well it’s not my ‘silly expensive sports car’ that’s causing all the trouble so if you’ll excuse me I’ve got a high horse to mount 😜

8 hours ago, flyingdoc93 said:

Haha. Well it’s not my ‘silly expensive sports car’ that’s causing all the trouble so if you’ll excuse me I’ve got a high horse to mount 😜

Ohhh careful, I have experience with high-horses and can confirm the emissions are horrendous :laugh:

Archived