New owner needs advice

Del_tl1000r

Hi all. Recently purchased my first Porsche and delighted with it. Not very happy with the sound system though. I upgraded the sound system in my last car, a Z4, as it was shocking! Fitted a Pioneer amp, focal speakers and a small kicker sub. Now I am back to a poor sound again. Although definitely not as bad as the Z4 was. I think I have the SPP as I have 2 speakers in each door and 2 on the dash I think. I've looked in the front boot behind the triangle and tools and there is no amp. Is it possible to have the extra speakers and no amp?

My 2006 has a non Bose system.  Also have 2 drive units in each door and 2 tweeters in the dash.  Sounds totally shyate. I’m not sure it was classed as the SPP system ?  I thought this was just the basic one.  Could be wrong. 

ive got a pioneer head unit in already and have some focals to go in at some point 

21 minutes ago, Del_tl1000r said:

I'll have a look under there tomorrow. So does it definitely have an amp?

Its my understanding that SPP has an ASK amp - and thats under the seat, the BOSE unit is in the front, and the "standard" has no amp and fewer speakers.  

1 hour ago, Del_tl1000r said:

So did the head unit improve the sound?

No idea as it was in the car when I bought it

on past experience I’d imagine it definitely is better than the standard thing though. And who wants to play discs these days ? !!!!!

I’ll have a look under the passenger seat when I take the seat out to clean things up.  

I replaced mine with this:-

uYVvBc8.jpg

There is also a Bass Amp in the Frunk. I had to get mine replaced, it died. The cheapest place was the OPC, £180.00, unbelievably. I was about to buy second hand from Ebay or Breakers Yard and the cheapest I could find was £350.00!!!!

The Head Unit is a Pioneer AVH-Z5100DAV which sounds great plus all the added advantages of Android Auto, SatNav etc.

Thinking about getting the rear speaker kit at some stage, but it's not essential.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SPEAKERKIT.html

2 hours ago, Verner said:

I replaced mine with this:-

uYVvBc8.jpg

There is also a Bass Amp in the Frunk. I had to get mine replaced, it died. The cheapest place was the OPC, £180.00, unbelievably. I was about to buy second hand from Ebay or Breakers Yard and the cheapest I could find was £350.00!!!!

The Head Unit is a Pioneer AVH-Z5100DAV which sounds great plus all the added advantages of Android Auto, SatNav etc.

Thinking about getting the rear speaker kit at some stage, but it's not essential.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SPEAKERKIT.html

That looks identical to my pioneer unit.  Not sure on the model number though 

22 minutes ago, sa utah said:

Btw you can get that storage bin conversion thing on eBay and some suitable speakers for a lot less than 299$

You can?

Had no idea. What is it called?

Best wishes,

Verner

Thanks for the replies. Had a look under the seat and the amp is there. I have been thinking about this head unit as I want to try and keep the centre console looking as standard as possible but giving me the option of Bluetooth, discs, and usb. Don't want anything fussy or a flashing light show either. Can anyone tell me what wiring I would need to connect this to the original harness. I don't have steering wheel controls. How would this work with the rear parking sensors?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaupunkt-Autoradio-New-Jersey-220/dp/B00MBRSQW4

I think that unit will stand out a fair bit in fairness and I’d be amazed if it sounded better than average. You  should definitely explore something with Apple CarPlay /Android Auto as I’d not go back to anything less now.  Mostly for selecting music etc on the move as you really don’t want to be picking up your phone !

the sat nav functions on Apple CarPlay etc is also a great reason 

Have a look at incartec.co.uk - they have fascias, harnesses and adapters to suit most requirements and offer great advice - they made a custom canbus adapter and harness for my audi. You may well find that the stuff you want/need is generic in which case there are other places to buy it - but these guys know their stuff.

Of course depends on the "spend" but there are a couple of units out there are designed to look like original equipment - dynavin, xtrons and * I think * something called ICE ( can't remember their name) - they are android powered units that have a ton of features (funky stuff if you want it) but look original (ish). Hunt around on here - few people have written threads about them.

On 11/10/2019 at 4:39 PM, sa utah said:

Thanks, I shall have a look.

Have you had it fitted? Was it difficult?

Best wishes,

Verner

Archived