Gearbox mounts.

detail1

26 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Try ECP, GSF or ebay for a price comparison. 

ECP doesn't seem to list them, and not much to go on from eBay. Design911 want about £500 for a pair. 

Read a guide on one of the US forums and you can buy 993 mounts without the brackets and it's a lot cheaper, but wanted some first hand information from someone that's done it really.

You can mod and upgrade your own. Remove one side the metal cap and the hydraulic fluid then fill with poly of a shore of your choice. I got mine as an experiment from @jimk04 and from memory they are 85 shore. Function First basically do the same, just looks neater and charge 10 times as much. 

For even more firmness maybe too much fill in the rig around the stud on the other side of increase the shore. 

4 minutes ago, edc said:

You can mod and upgrade your own. Remove one side the metal cap and the hydraulic fluid then fill with poly of a shore of your choice. I got mine as an experiment from @jimk04 and from memory they are 85 shore. Function First basically do the same, just looks neater and charge 10 times as much. 

For even more firmness maybe too much fill in the rig around the stud on the other side of increase the shore. 

Does anybody have a decent DIY for this? I have a set of old mounts in my shed and would love to use them for my Cayman.

I get the basic principle but I vaguely recall somebody saying that you needed a jig to get the mount positioning correct whilst the Polyurethane sets.

Hi guys.

No jig required as long as the doner is in decent shape.....central stud not wonky or sagged.

Basically cut the top aluminium cap off. Fluid shouldn't leak out yet unless the mount has failed.

Then once you are in you need to puncture the diaphragm that seals the fluid in. Let it drain. Then smash all the alloy damping out. It is a mass of perforated aluminium in there.....get it all out. Hammer and chisel job. You should now be able to see the rubber in the bottom that bonds the stud in. Fill up with polyurethane.  

I wont go into the technicalities of that. It is simple enough ...YouTube is your friend. It's all about mixing it and leaving it to stand at a decent temp for a while to allow bubbles to escape before pouring into the mount. Then keep that warm to help the bubbles out.

I do my mounts on a lathe to speed up and neaten up the process but the first set I trialled (the ones on my car) were done with a hacksaw and a file to neaten up afterwards. 

14 hours ago, jimk04 said:

And  I have read some horror stories about the aftermarket RS style ones failing.

Really? Please do share as we have sold 100's and have never been informed of a problem with them!

As far as I know there is only one manufacturer of the aftermarket mounts, Uro/APA.

Maybe they didnt use the correct hardware to install the mounts, you need the special dished washers otherwise the rubbers will pull out.

1 hour ago, T911UK said:

As far as I know there is only one manufacturer of the aftermarket mounts, Uro/APA.

Maybe they didnt use the correct hardware to install the mounts, you need the special dished washers otherwise the rubbers will pull out.

So are the 993 rs engine mounts a direct replacement for the 987 gearbox mounts? Just want to refresh and tighten things up after 14 years, the car doesn't get tracked and didn't want any unnecessary vibrations.

They are a direct replacement for 964, 993, 986, 987, 997, 996 engine mounts, if any of those fit the gearbox then they might work, I have never tried, sorry!

Archived